1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone finding it more challenging to pull clean beer out of these 1 gallon batches? I keep getting trub and hop leaves. Always prided myself on supper clean beer when siphoning off my 5 gallon carboys. Any ideas/thoughts would be great.

Brewed my first 1 gallon batch yesterday as I had to split a starter of Jolly Pumpkin sour dregs. Took 3 hours to brew it all grain BIAB vs 4.5 for a regular 5 gallon batch. A lot of labor for less than a 12 pack of finished brew, but it was fun too. I'm mainly interested in how the JP only batch tastes vs the 5 gallon batch with dregs from 3 different brewers.

I need to order some stainless steel washers for my mlt, but McMaster-Carr sells them in packs of 25, @ $10 plus shipping. Does anyone want to split an order? I really don't need 25. I'll be buying 316 ss, 1/2 id, 1-1/4 od. If interested, pm me!

solbes said:
Brewed my first 1 gallon batch yesterday as I had to split a starter of Jolly Pumpkin sour dregs. Took 3 hours to brew it all grain BIAB vs 4.5 for a regular 5 gallon batch. A lot of labor for less than a 12 pack of finished brew, but it was fun too. I'm mainly interested in how the JP only batch tastes vs the 5 gallon batch with dregs from 3 different brewers.

Yes it is a lot of work. You'll find a lot of us are brewing small batches (less than 5 gallons) as well as 1 gallon brews. It is tough sometimes when you nail a 1 gallon batch and then realize you don't have enough of it to drink because the batch is so small. I typically brew 1.5 gallon SMASH recipes but slightly bigger everyday recipes.

Does anyone else notice better conversion efficiency in small batches? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong when I go big, or if my mash set-up for small batches is inherently 5-7% more efficient.

Big scale I mash in a cooler. Small scale, I BIAB in a steel pot, heated externally either in a hot water bath or by an element underneath (stovetop).

Thoughts?

Does anyone else notice better conversion efficiency in small batches? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong when I go big, or if my mash set-up for small batches is inherently 5-7% more efficient.

Big scale I mash in a cooler. Small scale, I BIAB in a steel pot, heated externally either in a hot water bath or by an element underneath (stovetop).

Thoughts?

Using the same equipment 1.5 gal or 3 gal I get better efficiency from the 3 gal by a long shot.

^^^
Better efficiency in big batches for me too.
Bigger batches = more mass. Therefore easier to hold temperatures, longer.

Maybe that's it. I don't like the cooler I mash in - I think it leaks heat badly, and probably pay a lot closer attention to my small mashes.

Thanks everyone, much to think about!!!

With brew in a bag, you get better efficiencies with a more dilute grist ratio. I had 90% efficiency with my 1 gallon batch on Sunday . Typical for me with a 5 gallon batch: 70% for a max grain bill (around 13.5 lbs), 80% for a 11 lb grain bill, and 87% for a small 8 lb grain bill.

So opposite of what seems to be observed above.

^^^
Better efficiency in big batches for me too.
Bigger batches = more mass. Therefore easier to hold temperatures, longer.

That was my theory also. Well either that or the LHBS was giving me extra grain when get stuff for 3 gal batches.

Solbes - thank-you, it sounds like you're seeing the same thing I'm seeing. I had 2lbs 2oz in 1.1 gallons, which hits right around where you say you see 80-87% efficiency.

When my brew buddies and I do a big AG brew, we get about 75% efficiency...so when on my first two one-gallon AG batches I've seen 80-85%, I thought I must be doing something wrong.

I'm not complaining about coaxing extra sugar out of the starch, I just want to understand what's going on!

I found these mini kegs at a second hand store for 5$ a piece today.

minikeg.jpg

It was a pretty nice score. They are brand spanking new too. :D I didn't see any of the tap stuff that comes with some of the kits, but still very nice.

Leadgolem said:
It was a pretty nice score. They are brand spanking new too. :D I didn't see any of the tap stuff that comes with some of the kits, but still very nice.

Very cool find! I have myself found a few things at thrift stores that were great deals.

How cool would a one gallon conical fermentor be? I bet one could be made from an upside down plastic jug and some fittings. Hmmmmmmm

I am brewing NB Red Irish Ale. 15 days out. On brew day, I had a lot of evaporation due to large surface area of pot and aggressive boil. Ended up with about 1/2 a gallon. Fermentation was going well and on the third day I added boiled/cooled water to bring it up to 1 gallon. Pretty sure I slowed the fermentation. Up to adding the water, my airlock was bubbling. Hasn't bubbled since. I have little yeast particles floating in it. They do appear to be moving. Is this normal and will they transfer into my bottles when I bottle next Monday?

I would let it ferment for another week and then cold crash it for 24 hours and then bottle it. Cold crashing will help everything fall out. Just put the fermenter in the fridge to cold crash

Thanks, cheesecake! Just learned what cold crashing mean. Will it hurt to cold crash it on the 20th day and bottle on the 21st day?

cheesecake said:
Nope as long as fermentation is complete

Speaking of that, I am on my way to buy a hydrometer and have a brew. What is the best way to use a hydrometer on a 1 gallon batch without losing the sample? Can I just make sure the hydrometer and sample jar are sanitized and pour it back in?

Speaking of that, I am on my way to buy a hydrometer and have a brew. What is the best way to use a hydrometer on a 1 gallon batch without losing the sample? Can I just make sure the hydrometer and sample jar are sanitized and pour it back in?

If everything is sanitized properly then yeah, you can just pour it back in.

I'm always scared to pour back in but I really hate racking and finding out I only have enough to fill half a bottle or so at the end. Luckily I bought star San so this should be less of an issue now.

Amazon had refractometers for a about $20. You have to do some calculating once fermentation starts, but it only takes a drop of liquid to get a reading.

I use mine all the time, I only use my hydrometer when I'm in a hurry to bottle (as in, is it ready to bottle today...100% sure). But that doesn't/shouldn't happen often.

I would let it ferment for another week and then cold crash it for 24 hours and then bottle it. Cold crashing will help everything fall out. Just put the fermenter in the fridge to cold crash

Can I cold crash it in my non-insulated garage if the low for that night is 25 degrees? I plan on doing it this Sunday. Also, will cold crashing affect my priming? I had planned on priming for 2 weeks. Before cold crashing, should I take off the airlock and replace with a sanitized piece of foil with a rubber band?

Is your garage attached? Mine is and is always 10 degrees warmer than outside temps because it shares a common wall. 25 would not scare me at all, if so. It will take 24 hours at least for your beer to come into temp equilibrium anyway.

Cold crashing does not affect priming unless it gets below freezing temps (remember beer freezes a few degrees below 32 b/c of the alcohol). If you have star san or vodka in your airlock, no issues if the colder temps suck some in the fermenter.

Made a 1 gallon partial mash batch today. Amber DME, Vienna and crystal 60 malts. I decided to be brave and did a hydrometer reading before I dumped the rest into my primary. 1.060... Hoping to get 6% ABV :)

I love one gallon batches because I get to stay warm in my kitchen.

Woo! Ordered the ingredients for my first two 1 gal batches last night. Strategically planning two brews I think my fiance will enjoy (Brandon O's Graff and a Honey Wheat). Gotta get her buy-in early!

200 pages! Congrats folks.

I'm brewing that Munich to Kiwi Pale Ale I was talking about last weekend, Friday. I'm hoping I'll enter this in my first competition but who knows.

Did my first one gal batch yesterday. (been doing 5gal for about 1.5yrs)
I wanted to try a tiny batch with some new to me hops. NZ Hallertau and Pride of Ringwood. I went for an IPA style. Got a little under 1gal in the growler...bummed about that.

Also, I didn't really think about it, but when I was messing with the recipe in Beersmith, the littlest change dramatically changes the beer. I think 1gal brewing is harder than 5gal, in that respect.

:mug:

20130115_204003_zps17968fcc.jpg

my frist batch of brewing beer..a 1 gallon kit from brooklyn brew shop chestnut brow ale(christmas gift-i make wine so this is a change),didnt add the chestnuts thou but an all grain kit...if it comes out good have to ask my buddies for their bottles...lol

i know there is no bung and blow off tube just took a pic before i put them on

Just performed my first gravity reading. Didn't take an OG reading. Today is the 16th day since brew day. Brewing an Irish Red Ale. Gravity reading tonight was 1.006. Going to take one tomorrow and the next. If no change, will cold crash on Sunday and bottle on Monday. I bought a wine thief yesterday but can't use it because it won't fit through the neck of my fermenting jug. Sanitized a turkey baster and used that tonight. Used the wine thief as a sample jar.sanitized everything. Returned sample to jug. Everything sound good with my procedure?

muleskinner90 said:
It is an attached garage. I do have the Star San in the airlock.

Good to go!

truekey said:
Made a 1 gallon partial mash batch today. Amber DME, Vienna and crystal 60 malts. I decided to be brave and did a hydrometer reading before I dumped the rest into my primary. 1.060... Hoping to get 6% ABV :)

I love one gallon batches because I get to stay warm in my kitchen.

Nice, welcome!

BGBC said:
Woo! Ordered the ingredients for my first two 1 gal batches last night. Strategically planning two brews I think my fiance will enjoy (Brandon O's Graff and a Honey Wheat). Gotta get her buy-in early!

Smart move BGBC

bellmtbbq said:
200 pages! Congrats folks.

I'm brewing that Munich to Kiwi Pale Ale I was talking about last weekend, Friday. I'm hoping I'll enter this in my first competition but who knows.

GO FOR IT! Good luck

fifthcircle said:
Did my first one gal batch yesterday. (been doing 5gal for about 1.5yrs)
I wanted to try a tiny batch with some new to me hops. NZ Hallertau and Pride of Ringwood. I went for an IPA style. Got a little under 1gal in the growler...bummed about that.

Also, I didn't really think about it, but when I was messing with the recipe in Beersmith, the littlest change dramatically changes the beer. I think 1gal brewing is harder than 5gal, in that respect.

:mug:

I agree fifth circle. Sometimes the 1 gallon brews are quite difficult when scaling down. I noticed sometimes that beersmith would delete ingredients ( make it zero) when my initial amounts were very small in a 5 gallon batch like 4-6 oz so now I don't check the box to match sometimes when scale way down and play with it from there.

dougen said:
my frist batch of brewing beer..a 1 gallon kit from brooklyn brew shop chestnut brow ale(christmas gift-i make wine so this is a change),didnt add the chestnuts thou but an all grain kit...if it comes out good have to ask my buddies for their bottles...lol

i know there is no bung and blow off tube just took a pic before i put them on

That's sounds like a great kit. Keep us posted!

muleskinner90 said:
Just performed my first gravity reading. Didn't take an OG reading. Today is the 16th day since brew day. Brewing an Irish Red Ale. Gravity reading tonight was 1.006. Going to take one tomorrow and the next. If no change, will cold crash on Sunday and bottle on Monday. I bought a wine thief yesterday but can't use it because it won't fit through the neck of my fermenting jug. Sanitized a turkey baster and used that tonight. Used the wine thief as a sample jar.sanitized everything. Returned sample to jug. Everything sound good with my procedure?

You're almost there muleskinner. You can actually take a sample and then wait 2 days and take another. No change and your good to go. That way you save one sample.

I brewed my first all grain Saturday, it was centennial blonde, that's on the forums. I brewed 1.5 gallons of it so i could have some fun with the half gallon. I plan on adding raspberries to it. I know to cook them down to 160 degrees to kill stuff, but my question is how much? 1 cup, half cup, i am not sure where to start with this part of it.

Also my caribou slobber and american wheat from northern brewer are all gone, they were well received. So it looks like i will have o start brewing more. Just the wife dont like the smell when i brew in the house. Turkey fryer time it is. llol

Good to go!

Nice, welcome!

Smart move BGBC

GO FOR IT! Good luck

I agree fifth circle. Sometimes the 1 gallon brews are quite difficult when scaling down. I noticed sometimes that beersmith would delete ingredients ( make it zero) when my initial amounts were very small in a 5 gallon batch like 4-6 oz so now I don't check the box to match sometimes when scale way down and play with it from there.

That's sounds like a great kit. Keep us posted!

You're almost there muleskinner. You can actually take a sample and then wait 2 days and take another. No change and your good to go. That way you save one sample.
What he said.

I just found out I can grow kiwi outdoors here. I'm kinda confused, I like in Colorado. Isn't kiwi a tropical plant?

I just found out I can grow kiwi outdoors here. I'm kinda confused, I like in Colorado. Isn't kiwi a tropical plant?
Hardy kiwi is a type of vine. It can grow to zone 5 and does nicely here in MA. The fruits are the size of a large grape, same green color and less fuzz on the outside. Very, very sweet, sort of like a concentrated New Zealand kiwi. Vines take several years before they produce. Uh, I'm getting carried away with gardening again.:off: (slaps self)

Agree that small batches can be more difficult. Small changes of ingredients are magnified. Mash temps can be difficult to hold because there is less thermal mass. I'm gonna stick to 2.5 gal until I find a way to closely control the mash temp.

I got a 1 gallon kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop over the holidays and am going to fire it up this weekend at some point. Glad I read some fo the threads on it, def need to get a couple bigger pots.

Back