Mystery Fowl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Right next to the chickens in my local supermarket are larger chicken-like birds that are just labeled "large fowl". Any idea what they could be?

Asking the butcher at the supermarket was no help. "Its like a chicken!"

That's some sketchy sh*t right there, when the butcher doesn't even know or is afraid to tell you what it really is....

No picture? How big is it? Sounds like a big chicken.

old chicken? like a chicken past its prime?

Its too small to be a turkey... I would say it looks in almost all ways like a chicken, but the skin is looser/flappier... I bought it once by accident, and it made relatively decent chicken stock...

Right next to the chickens in my local supermarket are larger chicken-like birds that are just labeled "large fowl". Any idea what they could be?

It's something that shouldn't be eaten until it is positively identified; maybe not even then.
Regards, GF.

Seems the butcher ought to know what it is though. Unless youre in a grocery store. Most grocery store butchers dont know a teres minor from a flat iron steak!

What was the price per pound compared to chicken? I have no problem with trying something between a chicken size and turkey sized bird, I think "Large fowl" is a little misleading though.

Probably some chicken that has been adulterated enough that they cannot legally call it a chicken anymore. Or maybe its a genetically engineered all in one turducken.

You know, it really could have been Guinea Fowl. Those are fairly large at times and are pretty good. One thing about those is that there is a good chance it is small farm locally grown.

If its a lot more expensive it's probably capon, which is a castrated rooster.

Its actually cheaper (though I havent seen the prices in a few). Someone said old chicken, I think thats plausible since the meat is a little tough/dry looking... Thing is though, I thought one could only sell a chicken between certain age specifications.

Its actually cheaper (though I havent seen the prices in a few). Someone said old chicken, I think thats plausible since the meat is a little tough/dry looking... Thing is though, I thought one could only sell a chicken between certain age specifications.

Ah, but they aren't selling a "chicken", are they?

OOOOOOOOOOh... I see your point.

Anyway, if its old and past its prime, kinda makes me wanna buy it for stock. Something satisfyingly hippy dippy happens in my head when I think I might have given the poor wretch a few more weeks.

Well it sure as heck cant be called a chicken if it has developed any flavor of its own now can it? It may be a little on the tougher side than these pate formed chickens they tend to sell. Go for it

I liked the hop schedule joke, but it actually gave me an idea. Anyone ever put hops in their poultry stuffing?

Ever the intrepid gourmand, I purchased the "manager's special" the other day. Two guinea hens for $3.19! Prepared them as I would cornish game hens and... they were terrible. Like eating a rubber chicken.

So, instead of throwing them away, I tossed them whole into a stock pot. Seriously, it is the best "chicken" stock I have ever made.

Highly suggest it.

The Guinea hen breast is really nice. It overcooks quick. It is pretty lean and a little pig fat is nice, caul if you can find it, or butter under the skin.

The leg and thigh are fantastic braised. I do them with dried chiles, oregano, light tomato broth and whatever is at hand.

Back