Bourbon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add it to the bottling bucket rather than secondary.

Test it in a similar beer in the glass to see what the impact if it is. A good place to start is 10ml (2 teaspoons) in a 12 ozs bottle. If that is the amount that seems fine for you (again try it), there are roughly 50 bottles in a 5 gallon batch, which would mean you would need 500 ml, or half a liter.

I added to secondary and bottled two weeks ago. I opened two bottles yesterday and they hadn't carbonated at all, completely flat, no bubbles. Is it possible I killed the yeast with the bourbon?

Add a few oz of oak chips to the secondary and scale back the bourbon to 5oz. A lot of the bourbon flavor is oak anyhow so they compliment each other perfectly

I added to secondary and bottled two weeks ago. I opened two bottles yesterday and they hadn't carbonated at all, completely flat, no bubbles. Is it possible I killed the yeast with the bourbon?

Unless you added a LOT, I really doubt you killed the yeast with the bourbon.

I added some bourbon to the last dozen bottles of a coffee stout I made. That was a couple months ago and I cracked one of each, and the one with bourbon added definitely had less head than the one without. It has some effect, but I would say you just need to wait longer.

Thanks all! I found a lot of people having a similar problem on another thread that seemed to be a very similar recipe (vanilla bourbon barrel porter). Sounds like it's just slower than normal. I added about 12 ounces to 5 gallons.

Back