Elderberry Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WallyBear

Reaction score
I am a noob, so please be gentle.

While hunting last week, I found a patch of blue elderberries and brought home enough to make two gallons of juice. I added corn syrup until I got a brix of 20-21 and added the juice of one lemon.

I put it up into two one gallon jugs, added Champagne yeast that was proofed in warm water and honey.

It has been 5 days now and the bottles have died down after a furious 3 days and then a gradual slow down to almost nothing now.

I tasted it and it tastes like a very dry red wine. I do not know my red wines very well, but I do know that it is a one note song.

What should I do now? Do I just bottle it and age it or do I put oak into my jugs and let it sit for a while before I bottle it?

If it's only a few days old, top it up, airlock it, and wait. If new lees form within 60 days, rack and top up again. If no new lees form after 60 days, and the wine is perfectly clear when held up to the light, you could consider bottling it or adding oak for aging. But in any case, wait at least 60 days before considering anything.

Thank you. Will it develop character over time?

Yes, it may. Some wines get remarkably better with some time while some don't get that much better. But in a couple of months there are some things you can try that may help, such as using some acid blend if the wine is "flabby" or tannin (probably not necessary in elderberry) for a "bite".

Back