Aging my Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranch

Reaction score
So I've got a batch of wit sitting in primary and I'll be racking soon. I plan on kegging it up but I don't know how long to let it age before I start drinking. I did a similar recipe a while ago and bottled it. It didn't taste too hot until months passed in the bottles. I know that these wheat beers should be drank (drunk? dranked? Drinked? drunked?) pretty fresh. So how long should I let it age? What is a good rule of thumb for a wit? 1-2-3?

thanks.

We let ours sit in secondary/keg for four weeks and it certainly didn't hurt it, but we used a safale yeast, not a true belgian, so I don't know how the belgian yeast would behave. I do know ours was damn tasty tho! Four weeks to age it and four hours to drink it :)

mike

I'm doing 1 week primary, 1 week secondary and 2 weeks to carb/age in bottle.

Edit; Thinking about this more.. is there any point to a secondary with a wit?

Hopleaf said:
I'm doing 1 week primary, 1 week secondary and 2 weeks to carb/age in bottle.

Edit; Thinking about this more.. is there any point to a secondary with a wit?

that's another thing I was wondering. I still have mine in primary and may just move it to a keg after a longer stint in the primary.

We used a secondary to dryhop, (don't ask me why, but I think it had something to do with all the nutbrown we were drinking), and to free up our primary for another brew. After we finally purchased a keg, it went straight in there. The secondary didn't hurt it, but it left the primary and the keg open for other purposes.

mike

Back