Check out my DIY Beer Chalkboard!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkincaid

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is a round piece of wood from Home Depot. It has rounded edges and it cost me $10.97
The chalk board paint was $4.97
We already had primer to go under the chalkboard paint, and I have an endless supply of acrylic paints. Took me about 2 hours, and I primed (3 coats and a light sanding with 220) and put the chalkboard (3 coats) on yesterday.
But in case you're wondering, I used 3 colors....
Grass Green
Lush Foliage
Shamrock Green

What do you think guys?

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

Pinky you are awesome. You have the most interesting threads lately.

Cool beer board. Bud Light?

Lol..Thanks! I'm a DIY kind of gal! I like to make sure that the end result is going to be something I like.

The Bud light is leftover from a friends Call of Duty 4 Party. He pissed me off and so I told him he owed me beer. That is what I received. I figured I'd put it on the board in an effort to rid my fridge of it. Knowing that some of our guests will most assuredly drink it. :)

Pretty cool... I have a wall in my basement painted with that stuff! However, the cuteness around the edges are beyond me!

That's really cool! I may have to get myself some chalkboard paint.

On the Bud Light, I almost always have some in my fridge from parties. I don't buy it, but I seem to have a constant supply in my fridge :)

I'm going to make another one with wheat on it. Just to see how it turns out. Maybe I'll give it away on here. :) What do you think? Good HBT contest gift?

I'm going to make another one with wheat on it. Just to see how it turns out. Maybe I'll give it away on here. :) What do you think? Good HBT contest gift?

I think its a great idea.

I've never used blackboard paint - are there any special tricks to using it? I imagine its important to get it as smooth as possible, do you just use a regular brush?

I've never used blackboard paint - are there any special tricks to using it? I imagine its important to get it as smooth as possible, do you just use a regular brush?

I used a fine roller as suggested by others but it came out pretty bad. My second coat I used sponges and it came out awesome...

AllButTheDripPan.JPG

For small to medium sized areas I'd just take the time and use sponges. Heck there are some pretty big sponge brushes.

Chalkboard paint is awesome! We put some new kitchen cabinets in when we bought the house we had in NY. I covered the entire end of one of the base cabinets with the paint for our daughter who was 3 at the time. It kept her busy for hours at a time and out of SWMBO's hair while she was cooking (most of the time, anyway!)

That's awesome!

I just bought chalkboard spraypaint and painted chalkboard on my kegerator. Not artistic at all, I just used some tape to mark the area and blasted three light coats. Yours is SO much nicer!!!!!

I actually used the spray paint version. I used Rustoleum Auto Primer under it and the Rustoleum Specialty Chalkboard paint. I sanded the primer before adding the chalk paint. Came out nice and smooth. Just took my time, as to watch for streaking.

Awesome job!! I'm using the chalkboard paint on the top of my keezer that I am working on. I didn't use a primer since it wasn't bare metal. I hope that's ok.
I used a roller for the first two coats.
Tom, do you think I should do the last coat with a sponge? Will it make the final surface smoother?

Awesome job!! I'm using the chalkboard paint on the top of my keezer that I am working on. I didn't use a primer since it wasn't bare metal. I hope that's ok.
I used a roller for the first two coats.
Tom, do you think I should do the last coat with a sponge? Will it make the final surface smoother?

It made a big difference for me but if you have a smooth surface now that could be enough. Wouldn't worry about the primer. I skipped it too. I just roughed the surface and painted right on it. Come to think of it that might be why the roller did so poorly... it wasn't sticking well.

That is simply awesome. Now I gotta get around to actually turning that lay down freezer on my back porch into a keezer and then I'll know what my next project is. Thanks for the inspiration.

I bought a brushed aluminum frame and painted the plastic "glass" portion with the spray type chalkboard paint. it came out really nice, but the chalk pens I use are pretty difficult to erase. it takes a bit of rubbing with a wet wash cloth.

I bought a brushed aluminum frame and painted the plastic "glass" portion with the spray type chalkboard paint. it came out really nice, but the chalk pens I use are pretty difficult to erase. it takes a bit of rubbing with a wet wash cloth.

Yeah... I personally hate those pens. I went to the school supply store and bought good ol crayola chalk. It erases really well and doesn't leave traces of what you once wrote, even when you erase with just a dry rag.

I put my 12 y.o. daughter on to this project for Christmas. I printed out pics of yours for an example. We'll see what I get!

That's awesome! If it turns out well she can come work for me and we will open a chalkboard business lol :)

Good luck though! I hope it turns out. :)

Back