Denny's Rye IPA, Anybody ever brew this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHole

Reaction score
Denny Conn's Rye IPA -1st place Pale ales, Lane County Fair 2001

Recipe : Rye IPA

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (GAL): 5.00 Wort Size (GAL): 5.00
Total Grain (LBS): 16.25
Anticipated OG: 1.073 Plato: 17.8
Anticipated SRM: 12.2
Anticipated IBU: 75.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
67.7 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
18.5 3.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
7.7 1.25 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
3.1 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.1 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Mt. Hood Whole 4.90 15.0 FWH
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 17.80 54.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood Whole 4.90 5.7 30 min.
1.50 oz. Mt. Hood Whole 4.90 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)
1.00 Tsp Gypsum Other 60 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

BrewTek CL-50 California Pub Brewery Ale or Wyeast 1272 Am. ale II

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name :
BrewTek CL-50 California Pub Brewery Ale

Total Grain LBS : 16.25
Grain Temp : 63.00 F
Total Water QTS : 21.61 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water GAL : 5.40
Tun Thermal Mass : 0.00

Step Rest Start Stop Direct/ Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Infuse Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sacc 0 60 153 153 Infuse 166 21.61 1.33

Total Water QTS : 21.61 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water GAL : 5.40 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
All infusion amounts are in quarts.

I've never brewed it, but it's pretty much the most ballyhooed homebrew recipe in all of internetdom so I'm sure it's pretty damn good and Denny is an awesome brewer by all accounts. I've never heard anything bad about that beer from people who have brewed it.

Sounds good.

There certainly seems to be a high correlation between rye beers and columbus hops. I wonder if that's because it's such a grfeat combination or if it's just a "fad" bug that people have in their ears. (I brewed an all-columbus red rye yesterday, in the interest of full disclosure.)

Yes, Denny's Rye has become legend. This is one good tasting brew for sure. Simple and straight forward, and tasty. For anyone who wants to try a rye recipe, and really enjoy it, try it.

A couple things to note, which Denny, in my opinion, was right on when he created it. Columbus and rye go hand in hand. There is no better hop to help accent rye beers than Columbus. (Amarillo is another) Also, Wyeast's 1272 American Ale II is amazing with rye. It brings out such a wonderfull taste.

Excellent recipe!

I have brewed it twice and it is my first intro into using rye malt. It is very good. I have not used the CL 50 yeast but went with the Wyeast substitute.

Now I wish I had used the Columbus I have on hand for the rye PA I brewed last weekend instead of Chinook/Cascade (what can I say, I'm a sucker for the classics)! However, at the end of the mash and 3 pints into the process I decided to stir a couple ounces of Columbus into the mash to assist in running off, so maybe I can pretend like I'm really smart.

Columbus hops must be the best smelling hop in the world. Made an IPA with all Columbus and it's awesome! Wish I could get some ryzomes.

Well I bought all the ingredients for this today and will brew tomorrow. LHBS did not have the Wyeast American Ale II so I opted for US-56, I think this will be a great substitution. I also had to go with Columbus hop pellets instead of leaf but that should'nt matter. After all the hype about this recipe I am anxious to brew and drink this.

Well I brewed this yesterday and everything went great. I overshot the OG by one at 1.074 and came up about 1/2 gallon short. I am still trying to get used to my system ( my second AG ever) and I was unsure of my boil off rate. I started with about 7 gallons and tried to keep a medium boil because I was worried of not boiling enough off. I think next time I will hit 5 gallons at a rolling boil. I had a vigourous fermentation going within 8 hours using rehydrated US-56. I updated my gallery from yesterdays session if anyone is interested.

I transferred this to my secondary and started dry hopping today. It went from 1.074 to 1.008 in 6 days. I tasted my sample and it was pretty good. I can tell this is going to be a good beer. So far I am pleased with my 2nd AG attempt.

The rye thread got me thinking about this recipe. I may give it a go in the near future. Some questions:

If I can get Mt. Hood would Liberty turn out okay?

Can I sub out the proper ratio of 2-row for extract to make this a PM?

Could I just use Nottingham and ferment cool, or will that greatly affect the taste?

The rye thread got me thinking about this recipe. I may give it a go in the near future. Some questions:

If I can get Mt. Hood would Liberty turn out okay?

Can I sub out the proper ratio of 2-row for extract to make this a PM?
Could I just use Nottingham and ferment cool, or will that greatly affect the taste?
You will have to mash the rye malt so a PM is a must. I think Denny says US-05 is a good sub and the Liberty would probably be fine. I would make sure you do have the Columbus hops though.

Here is the defintive thread for Denny's Rye >> http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=26497

Sounds good.

There certainly seems to be a high correlation between rye beers and columbus hops. I wonder if that's because it's such a grfeat combination or if it's just a "fad" bug that people have in their ears. (I brewed an all-columbus red rye yesterday, in the interest of full disclosure.)

Grab a Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye...if you like that, you'll love DC's Rye IPA

...If I can get Mt. Hood would Liberty turn out okay?...
If you can get your hands on some Crystal hops, that would be better. My house ale calls for Mt. Hoods and I've been out of them for awhile. I've been subbing with Crystal. If not, Liberty might do well.

There appear to be some rye gurus here, so I am going to toss out a related question. I have been bumping up the amount of rye malt in my recipe, and have noticed that at higher amounts (say greater than 20%), rye seems to carry a slight astringency. A number of judges picked this up on my beer this spring. Does anyone have some good suggestions on how to keep this rye-astringency down? (And not to be confused with astringencies from sparging too warm, over-hopping, etc.)

Since this quarters wyeast "private collection" (formerly "very special strains") includes "Denny's Favorite 50" which is presumably the brewtek CL-50 that is Denny's first choice of yeast are any of you planning to use this yeast? I'm going to pick up a pack this weekend and hopefully brew Sunday.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/vssprogram.cfm?website=2 said:
Wyeast 2450PC
Denny’s Favorite 50

A mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn, this terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any style beer. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and helps accentuate the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuating. A great yeast for extract brewers and for fruit beers.

Attenuation 74-76%
Alc. Tolerance 10%
Flocculation low
Temperature Range 60-70ºF (15-21ºC)

There appear to be some rye gurus here, so I am going to toss out a related question. I have been bumping up the amount of rye malt in my recipe, and have noticed that at higher amounts (say greater than 20%), rye seems to carry a slight astringency. A number of judges picked this up on my beer this spring. Does anyone have some good suggestions on how to keep this rye-astringency down? (And not to be confused with astringencies from sparging too warm, over-hopping, etc.)

my rye additions in the 20% range and haven't had a problem...my last was 23%.

Try posing that question to Dan @ Weyerbacher...they did a Rye barleywine for their 12th anniversary ale that was 50% rye:

http://www.weyerbacher.com/cwo/Contact

I brewed this June 8 and just started dry hopping 6/16. Really looking forward to this one. Made a starter from washed Wy2450 (Denny's Fav 50). My only sub was going to be Liberty for the Mt. Hood, but I had a brain fart and tossed an oz of Amarillo in as my FWH by accident. I'm expecting extreme tastiness!

Back