Over powering oak flavor...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Maker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed me up a stout about six weeks ago. Finally got around to kegging it day before yesterday. Got home from work today excited to give it a try...

Much to my chagrin, I think 4 weeks sitting on two cups of oak chips might have been a bit too long. Does anyone out there in homebrewtalk.com land know of any little magical tricks to get the oak flavor to mellow out a bit...

I have a feeling that time will do it. It may do well to sit in the fermentation chamber in a keg for another month or two...

Any advice?

You're probably looking at the 6+ month range. Time heals all when you over do it. If you want it faster make a batch without the oak and blend them.

+1 on the time.. I've got an oaked imperial stout that I'm just resigned to the fact that I won't be drinking it until sometime in 2010. it's un-oaked companion is drinking well though!

yep. same problem here. 4oz of American oak goes a bit too far in 5gal. Mine has been aging since Feb... still tastes like a bourbon barrel. Either blend it, or cast it off to your friends as boilermaker beer.

just taste one every month or two... you'll be able to guage the mellowing of the oak.. though slow, it will happen

My experiments with oak told me that I hate oaking beer. I used 2 oz of oak chips for two weeks in one beer (heretofore known as Pinocchio's Ass Beer) and eight months later it still tasted like liquid wood.

:i've read on here that with some heavily oaked (mine 2.5oz bourbons soaked chips- it is liquid oak) can take upwards of a year:( any one with this long a wait?

Mine was in the has been in a keg for a couple weeks. It was left in the fermenter for 2 months. I tasted it. It tasted too oaky. So I took it off the tap, replaced it with another beer. Hopefully in another month it will be better.

Ha.

I have a special Bitter that was on the chips for 2 weeks. After 3 months it's still not drinkable. If you are in need of beer now, start blending. If not, pull that thing aside and let it age.

Mine, will prolly be good by Christmas.

Of next year!

Latest posts

Back