Never used plugs before..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyhood

Reaction score
Should i leave them in my wort after i pitch the yeast or try to strain out the plug remains...
thanks!

I just whirlpool and leave most of them behind. I don't think I'd like to leave them in the fermenter. How do you transfer from boil kettle to fermenter?

I cool down the wort. With an ice bath in the sink still in the kettle.. then i just transfer on top of 2 gallons of ice cool water...

Do you siphon it out of the pot or do you pour? In either case, just start a nice quick swirling action with your wort. Just like you're mixing a cup of coffee but really get it going. Once it's going really good just let it stop on its own. This will cause all the heavy particles to collect in the middle of the bottom of the pot. If you siphon, and I recommend it in this case, siphon from the edge. If you pour, do it very carefully and you will leave behind the pile of hops at the bottom. This will also leave hot and cold break material behind.

You get better utilization by putting them directly into the wort especially since they take up so much more room in the bag than pellets. Unlike pellets, they're fairly easy to remove too.

Latest posts

Back