first sour brew tommorrow!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ton

Reaction score
Tommorow i'll making my first sour brew. Its just a simple red ale that i'm adding lacto to. im pretty excited to start exploring this stuff.

to not make this post worthless, anyone else doing their first sour brew anytime soon? anyone ever just use lacto?

Tommorow i'll making my first sour brew. Its just a simple red ale that i'm adding lacto to. im pretty excited to start exploring this stuff.

to not make this post worthless, anyone else doing their first sour brew anytime soon? anyone ever just use lacto?
Actually I just did my first Berliner Weisse last saturday. I have brewed with lacto before but never this much of it...I actually made a bacteria starter!
photo-13.jpg

I am doing an experiment aging an imperial stout on oak and with brett, that includes 1 gallon of beer with lactic bacteria & brett. I took the bacteria from a combination of sauerkraut, sour dough bread, whey from yogurt, and raw apple cider vinegar. Built a small starter for them using a cup of the beer (its 10% ABV!) and a cup of molasses water. Every day I added more of the beer to the starter (a cup at a time), to get the bugs accustomed to the high alcohol concentration.

Its aging on oak right now. We'll see if these lactic bugs do anything, despite the high alcohol. I'm guessing it will take a while because the alcohol will slow them down (if they even survived). Probably won't bottle it till Oct. or Nov.

ive read that bacteria tend not to like high alcohol and som strains of lacto dont like hops either. that should be pretty interesting stuff if the bugs do work. good luck with that.

i was gonna make a starter with the lacto but i didnt order my stuff earlier enough. so i'm just winging it.

I actually drank my first bottle of sour beer yesterday, but it never used to be sour. I brewed a honey blonde a long time ago and just dug up a bottle from the archive. It had a really nice fruity/tangy sourness that was never there before!

sour is sour right :mug:

i never seem to have beer in my archive. probably cause i'm young, and my friends just drink it up.

Back