Dumping yeast from chonical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhoussock

Reaction score
I need some tips for dumping yeast. It seems that once I hit my final gravity and dump yeast until beer comes out, I always have a ton more the next day,and the next day and so on. I don't want to risk to much oxygen coming in by dumping. When dry hopping I end up losing hops. I do have the equipment to cold crash the chonical. Is this something that would help? I would like to find more efficient method to secondary and dry hop in the chonical. Is it okay to keep some yeast in there after primary for say another ten days of dry hopping?

Yes cold crashing will help. What yeast are you using? It sounds like you are using a low flocculating yeast, which would explain why there is always more coming out. It's just hasn't finished settling yet, but cold crashing will help with that. If some gets left behind while you dry hop, it shouldn't hurt anything.

You don't need to dump the yeast at all if you aren't planning on aging the beer in the conical for a long period of time. There are advantages to leaving the beer on the yeast for a week or two after it has reached it's final gravity. I think the biggest advantage to a conical is the ease of harvesting yeast.

Back