Pale Ale Recipe - First Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylanphelan

Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to put together a pale ale recipe, quite a punchy one...American style, quite hoppy. Bordering on an IPA style beer.

(i wanted to brew an IPA, but most my friends find it too bitter).

I don't know how to export text from beersmith, so here are some screenshots.

Would appreciate some input. Plan to brew this, or a revised version thereof tomorrow.

paleale1.jpg

pa2.jpg

thanks - will take a look at that ipa now.

the weight is on the left in KG.

the pale malt is 4.8kg and the wheat is 120grams.

it's a 23 litre batch. so 6.07 gallons....

ha, i see now, i was looking at the right side for the weights.

also, ibu calculations or not, i think it will be ipa bitter with that amount of hops. looks delicious though. let me know how it turns out. i didn't even like ipa's personally, until i brewed one.

thanks for the input.

I wanted to brew this tomorrow, but the brew shop that stocks american hops is closed on a Friday!! didn't realise that.

So i either have to wait, or make substitutes.. :-(

I was thinking about making this little change...

lowering the initial summit addition and adding a little summit at 10 mins.

summit1.jpg

The final IBU's stay about the same

just be sure to check the alpha acids on the hops, otherwise it won't come out how beersmith thinks if they don't match. dropping the amount at the beginning will make the taste less bitter, and at the end affect the smell more. which i'm sure you've discovered by now. i didn't realize summit was so high in acid. i favor columbus lately, esp for pale ales.

i've never used beersmith, looks like i might try them out. i use a brewer's friend app, and brewaide.

yeah, i've been doing so.

been keeping my inventory in beersmith and entering the exact alpha acidity of the hops im using.

i know that shifting the hops to later in the boil will contribute more to the aroma and flavour ( thats why i wanted a little of the summit in there ) as opposed to using it purely for bittering.

I've done one ale predominantly with summit, still fermenting though - keen to try it!

the first hop schedule gives me 40.7 in beersmith, the revised one is 40.8 ( with the later summit addition) - so pretty much the same thing

My only comment is on the variety of malts you are using. Most Pale Ales are a simple pale base malt with a caramel/crystal type malt for body, head retention and color. By keeping it simple the flavor profile is more toward the hops, not bitterness but hop flavor and aroma. If you want a balance of hop flavor with malt flavor than by all means try that recipe as it does sound good.

My favorite recipe is a simple pale ale using 2-row pale and Crystal 60 with a about 5% vienna 1.049 OG, 38 IBU's, 5.0% ABV. using Cascade finishing and dry hop. It is extremely drinkable yet pleasing to even beer snobs who want some real taste in their beer.

You can't really go wrong with a good pale ale style, love this stuff!

My only comment is on the variety of malts you are using. Most Pale Ales are a simple pale base malt with a caramel/crystal type malt for body, head retention and color. By keeping it simple the flavor profile is more toward the hops, not bitterness but hop flavor and aroma. If you want a balance of hop flavor with malt flavor than by all means try that recipe as it does sound good.

My favorite recipe is a simple pale ale using 2-row pale and Crystal 60 with a about 5% vienna 1.049 OG, 38 IBU's, 5.0% ABV. using Cascade finishing and dry hop. It is extremely drinkable yet pleasing to even beer snobs who want some real taste in their beer.

You can't really go wrong with a good pale ale style, love this stuff!

thanks - im not too worried about it being 'stictly a pale ale'... i was kind of going for something between a pale ale and ipa

thanks - im not too worried about it being 'stictly a pale ale'... i was kind of going for something between a pale ale and ipa

You are in the ballpark because an OG of 1.050 and IBU's of around 40 is right in line with an American Pale Ale style which is a stronger version of what the rest of the world calls "pale ale".

I'm terrible with kilograms, but it sure seems like a lot of cara-/crystal type malts in there.

If you want an APA, you could go up to 8, maybe even 10%, of cara malts if you like a sweeter finish. It seems like you've got more like 14%? I don't know what cara blonde is, but it sure seems like it would be a cara malt as well. If so, 14% is about twice as much cara/crystal malts as I'd consider.

I'm terrible with kilograms, but it sure seems like a lot of cara-/crystal type malts in there.

If you want an APA, you could go up to 8, maybe even 10%, of cara malts if you like a sweeter finish. It seems like you've got more like 14%? I don't know what cara blonde is, but it sure seems like it would be a cara malt as well. If so, 14% is about twice as much cara/crystal malts as I'd consider.

and i'm terrible with ounces and pounds. found a nifty firefox plugin that converts everything on the forum for me :cross:

the cara blonde was a substitute for crystal 20L which i couldnt get.

I'm in South Africa - am stuggling to find quite a few of the ingredients that other forum members are using.

I will have another look at cara malts... Beersmith was telling me that my EBC was on the low end for an APA, so i was trying to push that up a little with the cara malts... also trying to add a little more complexity

I'm revising this recipe again a little ( i 'saved as' rev3 )

does anyone know how to copy it in simple text from beersmith so i don't have to do screenshots all the time..? Googled it, but no luck

So - I want to brew this over the weekend...

I can't find Simcoe anywhere (well i have to wait too long)

any suggestions for a substitute?

also - thinking about dropping the munich - don't what it too malty.

What do you think?

@yooper - when you say the cara malts of the APA should be around 8-10%... would munich have any bearing on this?

So - I want to brew this over the weekend...

I can't find Simcoe anywhere (well i have to wait too long)

any suggestions for a substitute?

also - thinking about dropping the munich - don't what it too malty.

What do you think?

@yooper - when you say the cara malts of the APA should be around 8-10%... would munich have any bearing on this?

From Grain to Glass has Simcoe...
http://www.graintoglasshomebrew.com/category_s/1833.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=1833&show=20&page=3

I just ordered from there yesterday.

I ended up brewing a variation of this yesterday. I couldn't get Simcoe, so I decided to try some new hops that I had not yet used.

I cut down on the Cara type malts a bit, although I wasn't too concerned about the Cara Pils, because I've read that it doesn't add much sweetness.

Anyways - this is what I brewed:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.200 kg Pale Malt (SA) (4.0 EBC) Grain 1 82.5 %
0.400 kg Munich Malt (22.0 EBC) Grain 2 6.3 %
0.300 kg Cara Blonde (40.0 EBC) Grain 3 4.8 %
0.250 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 4.0 %
0.150 kg Caramunich III (116.0 EBC) Grain 5 2.4 %
12.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 20.2 IBUs
5.00 g Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
10.00 g Caliente [17.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 7.4 IBUs
10.00 g Smaragd Leaf Hops [7.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.3 IBUs
15.00 g Smaragd Leaf Hops [7.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.7 IBUs
10.00 g Caliente [17.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 4.1 IBUs
15.00 g Caliente [17.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
10.00 g Smaragd Leaf Hops [7.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 14 -
15.00 g Caliente [17.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
15.00 g Smaragd Leaf Hops [7.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 37.7 IBUs Calories: 484.7 kcal/l
Est Color: 15.3 EBC
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 6.300 kg
Sparge Water: 16.30 l Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C Tun Temperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Any thoughts? Gonna have a taste in a few days...
do you all taste before pitching yeast?

:mug:

I don't know what cara blonde is, but it sure seems like it would be a cara malt as well.

When i was decided what grains to use I tasted everything that i had stored away. It was about 8 varieties.

Cara Blonde was actually my favourite. I initially bought it as a Honey Malt substitute.

From brew shop's website:

"Lovibond 18 - 22

A pale Belgian caramel-style malt that imparts a mild caramel-sweet aroma adding golden colour to beer.

Uses: Light lagers, light ales, with little or no alcohol, white beers.

Rate: Up to 20% of the mix. "

I ended up brewing a variation of this yesterday. I couldn't get Simcoe, so I decided to try some new hops that I had not yet used.

I cut down on the Cara type malts a bit, although I wasn't too concerned about the Cara Pils, because I've read that it doesn't add much sweetness.

Anyways - this is what I brewed:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.200 kg Pale Malt (SA) (4.0 EBC) Grain 1 82.5 %
0.400 kg Munich Malt (22.0 EBC) Grain 2 6.3 %
0.300 kg Cara Blonde (40.0 EBC) Grain 3 4.8 %
0.250 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 4.0 %
0.150 kg Caramunich III (116.0 EBC) Grain 5 2.4 %
12.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 20.2 IBUs
5.00 g Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
10.00 g Caliente [17.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 7.4 IBUs
10.00 g Smaragd Leaf Hops [7.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.3 IBUs
15.00 g Smaragd Leaf Hops [7.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.7 IBUs
10.00 g Caliente [17.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 4.1 IBUs
15.00 g Caliente [17.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
10.00 g Smaragd Leaf Hops [7.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 14 -
15.00 g Caliente [17.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
15.00 g Smaragd Leaf Hops [7.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 37.7 IBUs Calories: 484.7 kcal/l
Est Color: 15.3 EBC
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 6.300 kg
Sparge Water: 16.30 l Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C Tun Temperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Any thoughts? Gonna have a taste in a few days...
do you all taste before pitching yeast?

:mug:

Recipe sounds pretty good to me!

I never taste my wort before fermentation...it all tastes about the same, super sweet and yummy but nothing like the finished beer will taste.

Back