LME cause "off" flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first batch of beer used almost all canned LME and has a funk. Second batch all DME and no funk. Third batch, in bottles, used half DME and half LME. Can the LME cause funky flavors? All beers are ales.

Maybe some more info, Are you adding all the malt at the beginning of your boil? Are you removing the pot from the boil? How long are you boiling as well. What type of "funk" are you speaking of?

My first assumption would be that you're scorching or burning your LME when adding. This can happen very easily. If you are following the directions to a T and still having a problem, being its an ale, with I assume a low hop profile, you're getting too much bite from the LME addition at the begining of the boil. Try splitting the additions, add some at the beginning of the boil, then add some half way through the boil. Hopefully that will help

What does the "funk" remind you of, flavor and aroma wise? People talk about a "twang" from extract. Is that what your talking about?

Only if you add all the LME at the begining of the boil. Only use 1/3 or so in a partial boil of 2.5-3 gallons. I take that one step further & use half a 3lb bag of plain DME in the partial boil. I add the remaining DME & all LME at flame out,cover & steep 15 minutes to pasteurize,which happens at 162F,the hot wort still being 180F+ is plenty to do the job. No twang & lighter color.

Thanks for the replies. LME at beginning of boil. I may have scorched a bit only because there was a bit of residue on the bottom of pan. Did not taste scorched. To me the taste ends on an offish not clean taste.

I have experienced that with LME. It is a "twang" (I think that's a word we use because describing it is difficult) that I've seen on many of my full boil LME batches. I used a fair bit of DME in it's stead, and also did as others have suggested by keeping 1/2 to 2/3 for the latter end of the boil. This largely cleared things up for me.

I tried different extracts, thinking it was a characteristic of the LME itself, and found some were better than others.

Since LME is cheaper than DME (even on a solids basis), I use LME, with some precautions: 1) Buy from a major supplier with good turnover, 2) Use it within 2 months, 3) Take the kettle off the heat before adding LME, and make sure it's completely dissolved before returning to the heat, 4) Late extract addition - add 1/4 of the extract early and 3/4 with 15 minutes left on the boil.

No off flavors.

Canned LME definitely can have some flavors that aren't present in fresh LME (dispensed fresh with nitrogen into a jug) or in DME.

Generally, adding the bulk of the LME at the end of the boil can help, but it won't do much to improve old canned extract.

I like DME better,but get good flavors when combining LME's with DME's. So I use DME in the boil,LME at flame out. Canned is fine fresh. We'll see how the Breisse gold LMW works out on thanksgiving.:mug:

Sounds like good ideas. 1st batch was from canned LME 3rd was from LHBS their bulk container. Is there any reason you would use LME instead of DME?

LME is cheaper, and with some suppliers it is available in more varieties - that may or may not be important to you.

I've only ever used DME for the reasons above. I'm going to use LME on the next couple batches because I could easily get 50% munich malt LME, which is hard or impossible to find in DME.

Seems at my brew store not sure what lme brand it is, but i never see an expireation date. Why is that? My brew store is a brew and grow. They carrie muntons DME if that helps and brewers best seasoning.

Seems at my brew store not sure what lme brand it is, but i never see an expireation date. Why is that? My brew store is a brew and grow. They carrie muntons DME if that helps and brewers best seasoning.

"Expiration" might not apply most of the time. The extract slowly gets stale instead of expiring. It probably does expire at some time, but it looses quality, and you just wouldn't want to use it.

Latest posts

Back