Efficiency and Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorBrew

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new all-grain brewer (4 batches so far) with low efficiency. While I've been experimenting with both fly and batch sparging, I've read a lot about the effect of the crush.

For a brewer without a mill, what company has the best crush? I've not had mush success with Northern Brewer's crush. Austin Home Brew Supply looks a bit better. Any thoughts?

None of them are great. A mill will pay for itself very quickly, especially if buying in bulk, and you should.

The best I have experienced is the double mill from farmhouse, but it didn't take me long to realize that a mill was essential.

Brewmasters Warehouse is much better. I went from the low 60%'s buying crushed grains from Northern Brewer to the mid 70%'s buying from Brewmasters Warehouse. I made no other changes.

For a brewer without a mill

Your best option is to correct the problem at hand - buy a mill. As mentioned it will pay for itself over time, though that takes a while of course since the extra cost to crush is pretty minuscule. With a mill you won't have to worry about this any longer. And even if the place you order from has a good crush there's always the inevitable mess up where you get completely uncrushed grains and find yourself in a bind.

Rev.

Back