Show us your Sous Vide Cooker!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I'm working on mine now and I have (I think) all the parts but I'd love to see what you all have come up with. I know some of you are using HLTs for double duty. So I want to see some pics!!

I've been meaning to put together a thread on my ugly junk/ghetto sous-vide cooker, but I've been too busy. So I'll debut it here.

It may look like crap, but it works great, like any true ugly junk should.

57605485.jpg

Mine's really simple, the cooler I haul beer around in, a pink foam lid, two oldschool immersion water heater coils, an aquarium pump with an airstone, a DIY thermowell (made with a rigid plumbing tube, some tinfoil and aquarium silicone) to hold the temp probe from my ebay temp controller, an extra thermometer, and a piece of broken racking cane to hold the airstone in place.

here's what it looks like under the hood. I made a lid with 2 pieces of 1/2" pink foam glued together with my favorite adhesive Elephant glue.

d402c256.jpg

I was worried that the aeration stone would just float at the top of the water, and I had a broken mini autosphon lying around. I cut a piece off the bottom and used that to hold it rigidly in place.

The part inside the outer tube.

$%28KGrHqR,!qUE88fkJLboBPgN87F9Yg~~60_35.JPG

The heater coils, although I always start with hot tap water in the cooler, I have done tests and the two coils are more than enough to take the waterbath from cold water to cooking temps pretty fast, iirc it was about 1/2 hour to go from cold tap to 130F.

bbbf6bfc.jpg

The Ebay temp controller I use to run it, which if you've looked at some of my other threads, I've used this version for a lot of things,. This none is perfect for my sous-vide because it has an always on socket, which I plug the aquarium bubbler into.

4458a3dd.jpg

IMG_02664.jpg

A close up of how I've finally figured out how to seal my ghetto thermowell. Basically I fill the bottom with 100% silicone for aquariums which is food safe, then seal it with some tinfoil and paint on some more silicone over the tinfoil to seal it.

38f315fd.jpg

My thermowells start out as a 2 dollar rigid supply line from Home Depot. I just use a pipe cutter to cut them down, and seal them as mentioned before.

IMG_01803.jpg

I've been cooking just about everything in it lately, and then browning in my cast iron grill pan.

8c3d68a1.jpg

Had I not wanted to keep using the cooler for beer (which I might get another one for that) I would have just punctured the lid for all my holes. But I also have a ton of 1/2" pink foam lying around from my keezer build, so I just made a lid with that.

The thing is, it appears to hold heat better with the pink stuff, than the original lid. I cooked some pork chops 48 hours ago. And just now when I lifted the lid to photograph it, the water was still warm.

I've just been doing the slowly lower the 1 gallon opened ziplock bag into the water and seal after it forces the air out of the bags method. I don't have a food saver yet but this has worked for me.

bbc884bb.jpg

bc91e247.jpg

Chicken Breasts with lemon and thyme.

9d50f84d.jpg

Brined 1" pork chops with garlic and rosemary

8cec3466.jpg

I don't have pics at the moment, but I have 2 sous vide cookers. One is a big slow cooker with my spare Johnson temperature controller, and the other one is a bucket with hot tap water slowly drizzling into it. The latter I use primarily for steaks/roasts as my hot water comes out at 128°F, which for me is perfect.

I just use my boil kettle, I add about 3" of water over the top of meat, and set the controller.

How necessary is the bubbler? I know it's to keep the water moving and thus a more consistent to throughout, but is it crucial?

Brewing Clamper said:
How necessary is the bubbler? I know it's to keep the water moving and thus a more consistent to throughout, but is it crucial?

Without the water moving I found that there was inconsistent temps even in such a small vessel. I would move the temp probe before it was in the thermowell, or my loose thermometer and the temps would be all over the place. Testing it with the bubbler on and the temp is the same all over.

rhis looks interesting......my HLT is controlleed by a pid, so my cooker is done i guess. i am still mastering the big green egg technique and now you guys throw this at me....

I have not used one yet, but I tested my Ebay temp controller with our crock pot and it worked well. I planned to use either that crock pot or a SS kettle on a hot plate I have out in the garage. I really should give the sous vide thing a try. Soaking chips for a pork shoulder right now, so it might be a few days before I run out of Pulled Pork. Well, I could maybe sneak one test cook in while the pork is cooking. Usually takes about 24 hours or so.

I have not used one yet, but I tested my Ebay temp controller with our crock pot and it worked well. I planned to use either that crock pot or a SS kettle on a hot plate I have out in the garage. I really should give the sous vide thing a try. Soaking chips for a pork shoulder right now, so it might be a few days before I run out of Pulled Pork. Well, I could maybe sneak one test cook in while the pork is cooking. Usually takes about 24 hours or so.

That's the one thing I've yet to attempt, anything long and slow. It's hard living alone to think about cooking anything that big I guess. I end up wasting food as it is.

Hey bro, as I'm posting this I'm in St. Ignace on a hotel deck overlooking Mackinac Island. We're doing a vintage base ball tourney tomorrow on the lawn in front of the Grand Hotel.

As proof of concept I did a prime rib in a large crock pot of water using my fermenter controller (eBay aquarium one) and it was awesome! It was medium rare from end to end, then just browned it under the broiler. Time to finish constructing the bigger one...

These temp controllers are for aquarium setups. The probe is water tight and since I'm not going to drink the water I don't care about leaching.

Sure, but how do you keep the crock pot sealed? Suppose it doesn't really matter if it can hold the temp.

Chest freezer's getting unplugged so I can make dinner tonight.

That's the one thing I've yet to attempt, anything long and slow. It's hard living alone to think about cooking anything that big I guess. I end up wasting food as it is.

Hey bro, as I'm posting this I'm in St. Ignace on a hotel deck overlooking Mackinac Island. We're doing a vintage base ball tourney tomorrow on the lawn in front of the Grand Hotel.

That is so cool! I'd love to check out a game some time.

I never have a problem finding people to eat the pulled pork. And a few pounds of shoulder or butt is pretty cheap when it comes right down to it.

Sure, but how do you keep the crock pot sealed? Suppose it doesn't really matter if it can hold the temp.

Chest freezer's getting unplugged so I can make dinner tonight.

During my test I did not seal the probe wire tight, I just let the lid sit on top of it. It was fine.

I never thought about just using ziplocks. My sealer is on the fritz so I put off trying this method, but now I might go ahead and give it a go. Not tonight though. Wife says it's an order in night. There goes the diet...

I never thought about just using ziplocks. My sealer is on the fritz so I put off trying this method, but now I might go ahead and give it a go. Not tonight though. Wife says it's an order in night. There goes the diet...

J. Kenji López-Alt at foodlab/serious eats gave me the idea. His cooking articles in general and the sous vide ones in particular are great. Here's the baggie one.

If anyone wants them his complete sous-vide articles are here.

I was just mentioning kenji on another thread. That guy is crazy smart and his sous vide recipes are flawless. I have done his pork belly process a couple of times and it gets consistently awesome comments. I cold-called serious eats about a job since I hate mine and I work in digital media. They don't have anything available now, but I hope to have created a good contact with the gm.

I was lucky enough to get a sous vide supreme unit for Christmas last year. I think it may have been a preemptive strike to prevent me from trying to hack something together ;)

I just started messing around with this.

Did a simple sous vide with boneless skin on chicken thighs seasoned with SPG on the stove top with my brew kettle. I kept the water at 150* and cooked for 2 hours, then used a torch for some flavor. The meat was good enough that I will experiment further, though the skin would have been better grilled or pan seared. A couple of our Wolfdogs made the skin disapear :D

So I have a couple of these lying around

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040QS6BA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They range from around $88 up to $125 on Amazon. We got ours at Costco for like $90 6 or 7 years ago for our deli. I am doing a table to see how well they hold temperature and time. I will try to update as I go along. I am willing to bet any used restaraunt supply store or craigslist will have a couple of these or something similar lying about for cheep. Restaraunt steam tables would probably work to. We had a couple of those and got rid of them :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my eherms system - did these ribs today:
IZKPu.jpg

S1VTn.jpg

I did the ribs sous vide, the chicken and jalepeno poppers were not sous vide - but still delicious.

I had Ostrich in PA one time at a fancy wild game restaurant. It was very tasty.

I HAVE to remember to set up my cooker and give this a try soon. But my controller is keeping my homemade soda cold.

Eh, I think I can let the soda warm up for a few hours one time!

I had Ostrich in PA one time at a fancy wild game restaurant. It was very tasty.

I HAVE to remember to set up my cooker and give this a try soon. But my controller is keeping my homemade soda cold.

Eh, I think I can let the soda warm up for a few hours one time!

That's why I bought a couple more temp controllers from ebay, they're so damn handy for stuff.

The only place I recommend garlic powder over fresh garlic is in a sous vide marinade bag. It avoids the entire pockets-of-too-much-garlic, maaan.

Hey Revvy I'm sure someone has asked you this already but you wouldn't happen to have a wiring diagram for your temp controller, or does it come with instructions?

Thanks

Ryan

have been meaning to do it for a while, finally got around to it, my sous vide cooker is just my speidel braumeister herms kettle with all the middle parts taken out. this was my first attempt, and i don't have a vacuum sealer, and i don't have normal size ziplock bags, so i used a giant one and sandwiched it between the two perforated plates that normally hold the malt. they kept the bag submerged, away from the heating coil, and allowed the recirculation pump to do its thing. so i got 2 little wild boar loins, into the bag with garlic, rosemary and black pepper, and cooked them at 60c for 1.5 hours. then browned very quickly in smoking hot butter. made a sauce of reduced red wine and turkey stock from whenever the hell the last time was i cooked a turkey, found it in the freezer. served over homemade red cabbage and carrot sauerkraut, with an updated version of the ever-dull dutch classic 'stamppot', where you boil and mash up tasteless vegetables and don't season it, so it sticks in your throat. mine is celeriac, potato, kale, fried leek, mustard seed, cream, butter, salt and pepper. and a pear stewed in white wine with star anise and black peppercorns. it was flipping good!!! real good. could have cooked the boar even less but decided to err on the side of safety. came out super tender. my vegetarian girlfriend ate quite a bit more of it than i expected a vegetarian to eat. and yes, the plate is kitch. said girlfriend has the whole frigging set, mugs, bowls, you name it

sv1.jpg

sv2.jpg

sv2a.jpg

sv3.jpg

sv4.jpg

please do... i think i could live on pork belly and beer. screw fiber. had some 48 hour ribs last week made by a friend who built a prototype that he is trying to get into production, i need to get a dedicated cooker built!

No one else?

Revvy, thanks for your showing your ingenious ugly junk/ghetto sous-vide cooker. As soon as I read your post I went and ordered an air pump and two cup warmers.
I received them yesterday and did some preliminary tests. I am happy to say that it works very well.
I took it a step further to increase the water circulation. I cut off a 1 foot section of 1-1/4" blow off tubing. I submerged the tubing in the water and inserted the air tubing inside one end. The bubbles created by the air pump will flow out of the other end pulling water with it and creating a pumping/siphon action, similar to the way an aquarium filter works.

I used 48qt. cooler so this works on a larger scale. Starting with water at 104°, I set my controller to 140° and it took 45 minutes to get the water up to temp.
As soon as I sort out the mounting details of the heating elements I am going to start cooking. :mug:

Let me tell you that this thread and another sous vide thread on HBT changed my life! I brought a crockpot to work and now eat like a king. Split chicken breast and steak has been on my regular menu. People are extremely jealous of my setup.
I don't have a temp controller or anything, I simply use my floating thermometer to check temp and I have a system down.

Bring the water to temp, put on low and leave lid off for steaks. Lid off on low maintains 135-140 and lid on while on low maintains 165-180 for chicken.

Love it. Thanks for enlightening me!

Tried out the Revvy inspired sous vide cooker tonight. We cooked a couple of New York strips and they turned out superb.
I used one of my fermentation temp controllers and a 48qt cooler.
Here is the gear I bought to complete the cooker.
Two NORPRO 559 Immersion Heaters and a Fusion Air Pump 500 Aquarium Air Pump

DSC00002.jpg

Out of the cartons.
DSC00003.jpg

To test it out I went simple. 1' of 1-1/4" blow off tubing, a 90º SS elbow, a 4" long piece of acrylic tubing and 4' of aquarium air tubing.
IMG140.jpg

IMG141.jpg

IMG142.jpg

The elbow weights one side down and air keeps the other end at an angle to create the pumping action.
DSC00007.jpg

It's best to boil a pot of water to speed things up unless you have time to wait on the temp to build.
DSC00005.jpg

Steaks are in! Notice I turned the pump tube around to get better flow against the heating elements.
DSC00014.jpg

After one hour at 138º, medium rare, they are ready to come out.
DSC00015.jpg

Out of the bath.
DSC00017.jpg

Torches ain't just for welding.
DSC00018.jpg

Bon appetit.
DSC00019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Awesome.

Hey, everyone who's been taking my suggestion of using immersion heaters. I think the same caveat in the threads about using water heater elements in electric brewing setups apply. DON'T RUN THEM DRY....Don't lift your lid for example with them still running or they'll burn out. I've burned a couple them out, I guess that way. Luckily they're pretty cheap. Keep em wet when you have them going.

Wow, Awesome.

Hey, everyone who's been taking my suggestion of using immersion heaters. I think the same caveat in the threads about using water heater elements in electric brewing setups apply. DON'T RUN THEM DRY....Don't lift your lid for example with them still running or they'll burn out. I've burned a couple them out, I guess that way. Luckily they're pretty cheap. Keep em wet when you have them going.

This true, they will instantly burn out of taken out of the water. Always unplug them first!

I plan on making a float for the two heaters so they will always be submerged at the correct level.

I use my E-HERMS HLT and MLT to do the trick... I didn't want to have the plastic right next to the heating element so I recirculated a few gallons through the HERMS coil and back on top of the steak. Even an el-cheapo Wal-Mart steak came out as tender as could be! I LIKE this method of cooking steak! I ended up letting it sit in the water for 2 hours. I just set the MLT controller to something like 134*F and let it go.

My Brewery:
66045_10151327845949224_1361753325_n.jpg

Steak In the MLT:
388071_10151153767949224_55442023_n.jpg

Cooked Steak:
549558_10151153768154224_1131255104_n.jpg

Finishing off with torch:
551891_10151153768729224_1297444256_n.jpg

Final Pairing:
311576_10151153767689224_1678469402_n.jpg

"Finished" my controller this afternoon. This is a temporary housing. I need something cooler. MYPIN TA-7, SSR, $5 goodwill crock pot, aquarium pump.

image-3178465466.jpg

Back