Lagunitas IPA Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltsfan

Reaction score
I did several searches and was not able to find any Extract recipes.

If no one has an extract recipe for it then maybe I'll have to try the one at Austin Homebrew. Prefer to buy ingredients myself to support the local homebrew shop.

Thanks!

:mug:

You can listen to the Brewing Network show, 'Can You Brew It' with Jamil when they cloned the Lagunitas IPA. They spoke with Jeremy Marshall at Lagunitas and basically got the recipe. Check it out if you want, but I'll try to translate here.

This is actually Jamil's recipe for the clone with my adjustments for using extract and specialty/steeping malts (I also made it a 5-gallon batch as opposed to the 6 gal in the original and rounded some of the measurements). Note: Lagunitas mashes extremely high, creating a very dextrinous wort. I'm using cara-pils to emulate that mash sequence. Anyways, here it goes...

Lagunitas IPA Clone (Extract Version)

Light/Golden DME 6#

Cara-Pils Dextrin 1#
Crystal 10° 1#
Munich Malt (10L) .75#
Wheat Malt .75#
Crystal 60° .50#

.25 oz Horizon 12% @ 60 mins
.10 oz Summit 18.5% @ 60 mins

.75 oz Williamette 4.75% @ 30 mins
.50 oz Centennial 10% @ 30 mins

1 oz Cascade 5.75% @ 1 min

.75 oz Cascade 5.75% @ Dry
.75 oz Centennial 10% @ Dry

Wyeast 1968 London ESB or White Labs 002 English Ale @ 66° F and raise to 68-70°

This should give you a beer around 1.060 - 1.065 with ~45 IBU's (although I would use a late extract addition to achieve this)

Hope it helps brother! Let me know how it turns out if you brew it!

Sorry, still new to brewing so a few questions...

1. You mean at high temp?
"Lagunitas mashes extremely high, creating a very dextrinous wort"

2. What do you mean by this?
"This should give you a beer around 1.060 - 1.065 with ~45 IBU's (although I would use a late extract addition to achieve this)"

"mashing high" is talking about how they do their mash out of grain. When you mash at a high temperature, you produce a thick, dextinous wort that retains quite a bit of sweetness. With an extract, the mashing is already done and you don't have the ability to change that so he's adding some carapils to help "fake" the same character.

The OG is what to shoot for in your recipe (brewing software helps with this!) and the IBUs to try to hit. It's hard to hit high IBUs with an extract batch, since a partial boil can only hold so many IBUs and then you dilute it with water at the end of the boil. If you hold back some of the extract (about 1/2) and add it at the end of the boil, you can more closely approximate the an all-grain batch.

"mashing high" is talking about how they do their mash out of grain. When you mash at a high temperature, you produce a thick, dextinous wort that retains quite a bit of sweetness. With an extract, the mashing is already done and you don't have the ability to change that so he's adding some carapils to help "fake" the same character.

The OG is what to shoot for in your recipe (brewing software helps with this!) and the IBUs to try to hit. It's hard to hit high IBUs with an extract batch, since a partial boil can only hold so many IBUs and then you dilute it with water at the end of the boil. If you hold back some of the extract (about 1/2) and add it at the end of the boil, you can more closely approximate the an all-grain batch.

Thanks Yooper!

To expand even further (and I hope this isn't too elementary), but the 1.060, or gravity is the measurement of potential, fermentable sugar in your wort. This would be your gravity reading just before fermentation. After fermentation, you should have a gravity reading of around 1.018 (in this case), meaning that a portion of those fermentables (sugars) have been converted into alcohol. Subtracting the FG (final gravity) from the OG (original gravity) allows you to calculate the ABV of the beer.

IBU stands for 'International Bittering Unit' and is a way of measuring the level of bitterness in a beer. This is a fairly critical characteristic of beer because it is the bitterness that balances with the malt sweetness in a beer to make for a pleasant experience.

Gravity readings and IBU's (among others characteristics) are indicators of beer styles. As you progress in your brewing, you will determine which combinations are most desirable to you and become familiar with typical levels for different styles.

Thanks for the good info.

Ok... got it on the high mashing and that it only applies too all grain brewing. At what time during the boil would you recommend adding the other half of the extract?

I fully understand the gravity and IBUs but was not sure what Grizzly meant by "although I would use a late extract addition to achieve this" but I do now after Yoppers post.

Thanks guys...

Also, click on the link in my signature for a thread on all of the CYBI recipes, including a few from Lagunitas.

Eric

Thanks for the good info.

Ok... got it on the high mashing and that it only applies too all grain brewing. At what time during the boil would you recommend adding the other half of the extract?

I fully understand the gravity and IBUs but was not sure what Grizzly meant by "although I would use a late extract addition to achieve this" but I do now after Yoppers post.

Thanks guys...

The second half of the extract should go in 10-15 min prior to the end of the boil, just long enough to sanitize the extract.

Sorry for the overkill on info:eek:

The second half of the extract should go in 10-15 min prior to the end of the boil, just long enough to sanitize the extract.

Sorry for the overkill on info:eek:

As far as this goes, if you are doing a mini-mash, you can put all of the extract in with just a minute or two to go. Just long enough to mix the extract in the boil. Extract is so high in sugar, it is a poor environment for bacterial growth (ever had honey go bad?). Even 1-2 minutes of boiling is enough.

Eric

Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum, just started brewing and my set-up is pretty compact (and low-tech), but I'm pretty excited about trying the extract version mentioned above. Has anyone had any success with this recipe?
Thanks in advance!

- Johnny

You can listen to the Brewing Network show, 'Can You Brew It' with Jamil when they cloned the Lagunitas IPA. They spoke with Jeremy Marshall at Lagunitas and basically got the recipe. Check it out if you want, but I'll try to translate here.

This is actually Jamil's recipe for the clone with my adjustments for using extract and specialty/steeping malts (I also made it a 5-gallon batch as opposed to the 6 gal in the original and rounded some of the measurements). Note: Lagunitas mashes extremely high, creating a very dextrinous wort. I'm using cara-pils to emulate that mash sequence. Anyways, here it goes...

Lagunitas IPA Clone (Extract Version)

Light/Golden DME 6#

Cara-Pils Dextrin 1#
Crystal 10° 1#
Munich Malt (10L) .75#
Wheat Malt .75#
Crystal 60° .50#

.25 oz Horizon 12% @ 60 mins
.10 oz Summit 18.5% @ 60 mins

.75 oz Williamette 4.75% @ 30 mins
.50 oz Centennial 10% @ 30 mins

1 oz Cascade 5.75% @ 1 min

.75 oz Cascade 5.75% @ Dry
.75 oz Centennial 10% @ Dry

Wyeast 1968 London ESB or White Labs 002 English Ale @ 66° F and raise to 68-70°

This should give you a beer around 1.060 - 1.065 with ~45 IBU's (although I would use a late extract addition to achieve this)

Hope it helps brother! Let me know how it turns out if you brew it!

This is a pretty old thread, but I thought I would give it a try. What was your boil size? Do you recommend steeping for 30 min, or longer due to the munich and wheat malts? Thanks for any input.

I think I am going to try this recipe this next week. If anything it looks like a great IPA recipe. I need to get my pipeline going. Kegs are running dry and nothing is in primary. Big no no haha

I am looking at doing the extract recipe from BYO (Pasted below). Its similar to the recipe posted at the top of this thread. However, the hops seem to be lacking. The IBUs for the recipe is 67, but when I plug it into Hopville or Brewtarget the IBUs are in the low 50s. Could there be a typo in the recipe? Or, better to trust the recipe over the calculations?

Lagunitas IPA clone
(Lagunitas Brewing)
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.059 FG = 1.015
IBU = 67 SRM = 9 ABV = 5.7%

Ingredients
11.33 lbs. (5.1 kg) 2-row pale malt
0.4 lbs. (0.18 kg) dextrine malt
0.3 lbs. (0.14 kg) crystal malt (60 °L)
0.2 lbs. (91 g) light Munich malt (4 °L)
8.25 AAU Horizon hops (60 mins)
(0.75 oz./21 g of 11% alpha acids)
4.5 AAU Cascades hops (30 mins)
(0.90 oz./26 g of 5.0% alpha acids)
1.25 AAU Willamette hops (30 mins)
(0.25 oz./7.1 g of 5.0% alpha acids)
15.75 AAU Cascade hops (0 min)
(3.15 oz./89 g of 5.0% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) or White
Labs WLP001 (California Ale) yeast

Step by Step
Mash at 154 °F (68 °C). Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops as indicated in the ingredient list. After the boil, let the wort sit for 15 minutes before cooling. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C).

Extract option:
Replace pale malt with 5 lbs. 9 oz. (2.5 kg) of light dried malt extract and 1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) 2-row pale malt. Steep crushed pale malt and other malts in 76 oz. (2.2 L) of water at 154 °F (68 °C) for 45 minutes.

Hi Grizzly, Can't wait to try this, I'm going to make it my next batch. Are those hops all pelletized?

Step by Step
Mash at 154 °F (68 °C). Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops as indicated in the ingredient list. After the boil, let the wort sit for 15 minutes before cooling. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C).

Extract option:
Replace pale malt with 5 lbs. 9 oz. (2.5 kg) of light dried malt extract and 1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) 2-row pale malt. Steep crushed pale malt and other malts in 76 oz. (2.2 L) of water at 154 °F (68 °C) for 45 minutes.

Just to be clear, when you say add hops as indicated you mean adding them at the time quoted (i.e Cascade Hops at the beginning of the boil, not the end), correct?

Thanks, Matt.

Latest posts

Back