Should I add more pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naemlss

Reaction score
I am about to do my 1st tasting of my moon hill pumpkin ale. Its been fermenting now for 3 weeks today. I plan on leaving it for another two weeks to condition either in the keg, or if I don't like the flavor another two weeks in a secondary fermenter. I love the taste of pumpkin, and I am worried that there won't be enough. I am already going to add some vanilla. I discovered a hint of it in the better pumpkin ales I have been sampling this year.

My basic question is would it be bad for me to bake off pumpkin puree to sterilize it, and then to add it to a secondary fermenter?

I would rack the beer directly onto the pumpkin. Then Co2 purge the headspace and give the baby a good swirl to get the pumpkin suspended for awhile.

I wouldn't,it would kick off fermentation again,possibly thinning the mouth feel & flavors of what you already have,imo.

I would advise against. I don't think it will add that pumpkin taste your looking for. Personally when I try any pumpkin beers I taste the spices, can't say I've ever had a beer that actually tasted like pumpkin, but that's just me. I made a pumpkin ale with over 6 lbs roasted pumpkin in 5 gal batch and I still only tasted spices. Did you use any type of spices?

followed the moon hill recipe to mostly a T. So yes I spiced it, but I am going to do my tasting and see if I want more additions. 60 oz of pumpkin went into mine.

Back