A few more questions - Wood Ageing, Gradual Sugar Addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Right, I'm going to make a Budweiser clone (from Dave Line's "Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy." Budweiser appear to use a Beechwood Ageing process, where they boil the chips for 7 hours in sodium bicarbonate to remove any flavor from the wood itself. "Anheuser-Busch refers to this process as a secondary fermentation, with the idea being that the chips give the yeast more surface area to rest on" - so this said, is this worth bothering with? If so, when in the process should I attempt it? I usually just brew in the bucket and transfer to a keg.

I realise that Bud is awful in the eyes of some people, so for that, I apologise. :)

As for gradual sugar addition on another brew, I'm pretty clued up, but last time I did it with molasses, there was some serious fizz going on - the whole thing overflowed as soon as the sugar touched it. This time I'm using Glucose and tinned fruit, so will I still have the same issue?

So, it sounds like they add the wood for no reason but to increase surface area. No flavors at all. I would say skip it, as Bud is not one for complex and subtle flavors. Been a LONG time since I had any (college party a while back), but I doubt it needs it.

Uncertain what you mean about gradual sugar additions. Into the fermenter throughout the fermentation? During the boil? If during the boil, I don't see why it would overflow even with molasses, as I have never had that issue.

I think your fizz problem is the traped CO2 was disturbed and all came out at once. Try giveing it a gentle swirl with a long sanitized spoon to release the gas before adding the sugar.

Back