What are your favorite hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clann

Reaction score
I love cascade and centennial but I am looking to broden my horizon.
So, what do you all think? :mug:

I've been on a German/Czech kick lately so my favorite hops right now are Saaz, Hallertau, and Spaalt. I think I got burnt out on cascade. I still have like 1/2 lb I need to go through but at least I already got my money's worth out of the bulk purchase.

Amarillo, Fuggles, Chinook, Tettnanger

I used Chinook for the the first time in awhile yesterday and man I love how strong they smell; like supercharged Cascade.

So far Centennial has been my favorite. Nugget or Northern Brewer have been my most-used bittering hops though.

Like:
cascade
centennial
fuggle
styrian golding

Meh:
columbus
simcoe
EKG
willamette
hallertau

Dislike:
amarillo
US golding

I love me some simcoe! I recently went through a pound of Chinook, and now that's on my fav list. Willamette is my "classic" favorite along with (of course) Saaz. Cascade is OK, but I think Chinook has replaced it in my brewery.

It really depends all on the style for me. US golding work great in a fruit beer and I can't imagine an APA without cascade or centennial.

However, I wouldn't like a APA with US goldings or a fruit beer loaded with centennial. Yuck.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a beer that Sterling'd be good in.

Simcoe
Amarillo
Chinook
Centennial
Cascade
Nugget
Magnum
Saaz

Can't really stand English hops, but I do like Willamette(fuggles) in my Brown Ale. It seems to pair well with Cascade

If I may add something to the original question...

WHY do you like the hops you like?

back when I was youngerI lived near some old hippies and they homebrewed.
I didnt know then but the hops they used were centennial. I can still remember how their beer tastes. probabily one reason I started homebrewing.
:D

Back