white labs vials at room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmoron

Reaction score
Wondering if this yeast is still good or I should just drop the $6 for another vial. I had a vial each of WLP001 and the white labs Edinburgh yeast ordered from Morebeer. I told them to pack extra ice packs to keep it cool, but they probably thawed by the second day in transit. These vials probably sat at room temp for at least 10 days because the package got lost.

I figure I'll try a double step starter. Would any of you hesitate about using this yeast, or would you be pretty confident about it working fine?

I would try to use them. You dont ever really know what happens to your yeast before it get to your home, even if you buy it in person.

If you are making a starter, there is no harm in using them. This happens to me often when i order from morebeer. I have had a few vials never start when I directly pitched them, but you eliminate that issue with a starter--if it doesn't start the starter, don't pitch it!

I think you'll be ok. I had a WLP300 via mail order that was shipped without any ice packs, it pitched just fine. I figure they (the online retailer) have experience with this sort of thing as it is their business to provide quality products.
But if you have any doubts (and you have the time), definately make a starter.

I'm definitely going to make a starter; I do for every batch. I was just thinking more from a planning perspective. I won't know for sure until I make a starter, but if I try to make a starter and it fails, it'll put me back a week to wait for more yeast to come.

Try a really light starter 1.030 or so with yeast nutrient if you've got it... then maybe step it up once more after.

Back