What books do you guys recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadS99SVT

Reaction score
I consider myself a newb still but I really am starting to get passionate about beer making. I want to do some reading etc.

I have brewed probably 5 batches and have done extensive tasting of all types of beer:D

I am looking for books from the total noob beginner to something very advanced. so post up your favorites.:rockin:

john palmer's how to brew is a standard, and has been my bible in the past few weeks. the man knows what he's talking about and portrays it in an easy-to-read manner.

also if you want to get a little more advanced, get Designing Great Beers. i'm about to dive into that one, it's jampacked with information. :p

I started with Papazian's "The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing" I got off Amazon used for a buck, but it was from a printing in the early 80s and a lot has changed since then. He has several newer versions, on of which I looked at at the library and it was really nice.

A friend of mine who was my mentor in homebrewing recommended Palmer's "How to Brew" to me. It's available on the Web for free:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction

You should probably buy a printed copy just to have it on your brewing table as a reference. I've read it through three times already, and have 9 batches under my belt.

Also, "Designing Great Beers", recommended above, gets high marks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Daniels - Designing Great Beers; Is about the basics of recipe balance.
Randy Mosher - Radical Brewing; Is about historical and odd recipe design.

The Belgian Ale books are informative, if you are into that sort.
Brew Like a Monk, Wild Ales, Farmhouse Ales

Start with John Palmer. Once you understand everything in that book start reading everything else you can get your hands on.

I also like Papazian's "Homebrewer's Companion" This is more of a supplement to "The complete joy of homebrewing" but it still has some good info and a lot of great recipes. Also, if you are into gardening, "The Homebrewer's Garden" is a really great book.

+1 on Designing Great Beers. If you ever want to develop your own recipes (or just add a slight twist to someone else's) this is a must.

+1 on Designing Great Beers. If you ever want to develop your own recipes (or just add a slight twist to someone else's) this is a must.

Read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will get you to start to understand why you put this ingredient in and not the other.
Follow it up with Radical Brewing by Mosher and you've got a winner. :mug:

I have read sam calagione extreme brewing. Interesting.
I have also read Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide. This one is ok but it is a little more advanced.
I also have the complete joy of homebrewing. This is essential.

The more books the better!! I find that expanding your knowledge using different sources will help you really tune your technique and learn the overall technique of homebrewing.

Just bought 7 books:D

How To Brew - John palmer
Brew Ware - K arl F Lutzen
Brewing up a business: Adventures in Entreprenurship from teh founders of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery - Sam Calagione
Beer School: Bottling success at teh Brooklyn Brewery - Steve Hindy
Designing Great Beers - Ray Daniels
Radical Brewing - Randy Mosher
The Hombrewers Garden - Joe Fisher

picked up 2 of them at the local borders and rest are coming from Amazon :ban::tank:

I have learned everything so far online, I'm cheap, and don't have the attention span to read a book. I just learn bits and pieces online.

I have learned everything so far online, I'm cheap, and don't have the attention span to read a book. I just learn bits and pieces online.

yeah I usually don't either but I am sure I will at least browse through these from time to time and hopefully read them...:D

Brewing up a business: Adventures in Entreprenurship from teh founders of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery - Sam Calagione

picked up 2 of them at the local borders and rest are coming from Amazon :ban::tank:

Read Palmer first. It lays the foundation for the more advanced books like Daniels. I've read almost all of the books above myself, welcome to the obsession.

Read Palmer first. It lays the foundation for the more advanced books like Daniels. I've read almost all of the books above myself, welcome to the obsession.

+1 on all that.

I have the second and third edition of How to Brew by Palmer. I still refer to it after 60 batches. Money well spent.

Learn to brew reading online. This forum alone has enough information on how to make beer IMHO. Everyone loves Palmer, but too many tend to consider it gospel and there are far too many ways to skin a cat to contain it all in one book.

Then to refine and make recipes go with Designing Great Beers. You won't find any recipes in that book, just the information to make your own.

Both thee the Papazian and Palmer books are a good resource. I have been reading "Designing Great Beers" for the last month because I do not have even a basic knowledge of chemistry and biology and I find myself going off and researching little bits of information that he writes about in the book. This is not a book for someone who wants to brew their first beers. I am probably going to buy Brew Like a Monk in order to get a feel for a different technique.

Learn to brew reading online. This forum alone has enough information on how to make beer IMHO. Everyone loves Palmer, but too many tend to consider it gospel and there are far too many ways to skin a cat to contain it all in one book.

Then to refine and make recipes go with Designing Great Beers. You won't find any recipes in that book, just the information to make your own.

I plan on doing both.....the book gets my brain firing and then I go off to the internet researching things that I find interesting or things that I want more info on.

I recommend some of the books on Cloning. I know we are not trying to copy commercial beers by homebrewing...but if you are just getting going then comparing your homebrew clone of something you are familiar with will tell you a lot about your brewing techniques and where you specifically need to improve.

Check out Yooper's Dead Guy Clone for example. If you are familiar with Dead Guy and then brew your own clone then you have something to compare against. You can learn a lot from the side-by-side lineup.

Good Luck!

-Tripod

Adventures in Entrepreneurship is great. It is applicable to everyday life. I read that last summer in 3 days. Easy read.

Beer School seems like it would be interesting. Brooklyn Brewery makes some good beer.

Adventures in Entrepreneurship is great. It is applicable to everyday life. I read that last summer in 3 days. Easy read.

Beer School seems like it would be interesting. Brooklyn Brewery makes some good beer.

yeah I enjoy Dogfish brew so I wanted to read that one, but I have read some of the reviews and most people say to read Beer School if you want to actually learn the ins and outs of running a brewery.

Books arrived today.....super fast shipping from Amazon! ordered them LATE saturday night and they arrived monday(today) midafternoon.:rockin:

+1 for John Palmers how to brew. There is the version on the internet which is a great reference but it is also nice to have a hard copy to read when your sitting at home or just don't have the internet handy.

On a side note, I just ordered the following 4 books today :)

1 "Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles"
Ray Daniels; Paperback; $16.47

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
1 "Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass"
Randy Mosher; Paperback; $13.57

1 "Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew"
Jamil Zainasheff; Paperback; $13.57

1 "The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs"
Joe Fisher; Paperback; $10.17

+1 for John Palmers how to brew. There is the version on the internet which is a great reference but it is also nice to have a hard copy to read when your sitting at home or just don't have the internet handy.

On a side note, I just ordered the following 4 books today :)

1 "Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles"
Ray Daniels; Paperback; $16.47

1 "Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass"
Randy Mosher; Paperback; $13.57

1 "Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew"
Jamil Zainasheff; Paperback; $13.57

1 "The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs"
Joe Fisher; Paperback; $10.17

Brewing Classic Styles is one of my brew-library favorites. Good Choice!

Back