Fermentation took 2 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selenduri

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of beer that called for cooling the wort to 70 degrees F. That seems a little low since yeast is usually active at luke warm temperature. When I pitched the yeast the wort seemed a little cold even though the temp registered at 70 degrees F which is what the directions called for. It isnt a lager, just a regular run of the mill red ale. It didn't start fermenting until 48 hours after I moved the wort to a warmer place. My question is now that it is fermenting, do I need to worry about bacterial contamination? I don't want to get sick. Thanks!

You're ok. The alcohol will prevent any bacterial growth. Also I really don't think 70 was too cool for fermentation. You probably just didn't notice the fermentation taking place. Give beer a chance and let it sit for a few weeks. Check the gravity and taste it. If needed let it sit in the fermenter for a while longer. Bottle it and let it sit some more.

You won't get sick for sure. If its bad as in infection....you won't want to drink it anyway.

I usually ferment my ales to start out at 68-70 degrees and try never to go above 72. So I pich my yeast at what ever temp my wort is. Did you use a starter or was the yeast fresh? Sometimes if you have a lot of head space in your fermenter you won't see any action right away because it hasn't built up enough pressure yet. I'd worry after 3 days if there's no action at all.

Anf as far as contamination as long as all your equipment was properly sanatized and you havnt opened it you shoukd be fine as far as bacteria

Back