IPA Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJasonT

Reaction score
Just a random thought...

What is it about IPAs and DIPAs that gives them that thick oily or sugary mouthfeel? I'm drinking a Lagunitas Lucky 13.alt right now that really exemplifies that flavor and mouthfeel.

Thoughts?

High mash temperatures result in a significant amount of unfermentable sugar which can give some beers an almost syrup like consistency. It's not limited to IPAs and DIPAs. You'll see it in many high gravity brews like dopplebock, RIS, and barleywine to name a few.

Most ipas don't have that mouthfeel and are dry and crisp. Lagunitas mashes all of their beers high to give a thicker mouthfeel and more body

Just to point it out hops are gauged by alpha acids or Humulone (main compound of alpha acids responsible for bittering) which is actually the active ingredient in hops. It is the resin or oil found on the leaves. Higher IBUS, Higher hop Isomerization.

Believe it or not hops are the closet relative to marijuana.

What this has to do with your question i dont know, im pretty fryed right now.

Believe it or not hops are the closet relative to marijuana.

Hate to geek out on plants, but that isn't quite true. There are hundreds of "relatives"as close to marijuana as hops.
A an example of a closer relative would probably be hemp... Same genera, different species.

I personally think some of their stuff is cloyingly sweet and out of place.

x2

Hate to geek out on plants, but that isn't quite true. There are hundreds of "relatives"as close to marijuana as hops.
A an example of a closer relative would probably be hemp... Same genera, different species.

Hate to re-geek, but Wikipedia calls them variety of same species.

"Hemp (from Old English hænep) is a term reserved mainly for low tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) varieties of the plant Cannabis sativa."

more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

They are subspecies within the genera sativa. Hops are in the genera humulus. The are like 12 other genera give or take if i remember right, and hundreds of other species within the cannabis family.

Hydroponics for hops?
Interesting idea, but due to the way they grow it would be tricky.
Unlike typical plants grown in hydroponic gardens, hops like to grow big on climbing vines. With the right location you can accommodate that but keeping the proper lighting on the whole plant would be another problem.
I hope you give it a try and let everyone know how it works out.

Latest posts

Back