Pump Addition Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPORT546

Reaction score
I've searched for this but have yet to find a good thread on it. I'm looking for a do's and dont's thread. Does anyone know of a thread that walks you through everything you need to know about adding a pump to your system. Most of what I have found is rig specific and I'm looking for more general information. Thanks

You'd probably get some ideas by looking at some of the "Show Us Your Brew Sculpture" threads, but here are a few general tips:

- for the most part, the only appropriate pumps are magnetically coupled, using high-temperature tolerant materials that are also "food grade" (or at least "generally recognized as safe" around consumables)
- mount the pump well below vessels to ease priming
- regardless of the motor orientation, the ideal pump head orientation is to end up with the outlet port pointing to 12 O'Clock. Next best is with the outlet pointing at 3 O'Clock
- sizing your inlet plumbing path, from pickup to pump inlet, to match or exceed the pump inlet ID, will help avoid cavitation
- provide a way to let air bleed out of the pump head when priming - very important
- avoid sharp bends immediately before the pump inlet. A couple/few inches of straight shot into the inlet will benefit pump performance
- never control pump flow from the inlet side; "throttling" with a valve must be done on the output side
- never run a pump dry for more than seconds; it is the liquid that lubricates the pump head/impeller; without liquid flowing, bad things happen
- provide a splash/drip shield over the pump motor; if you drown the motor in water or wort, you can forget benefiting from any warranty service
- make sure the pump is electrically grounded for safety, and ideally ends up at a GFCI device

I'm sure there are more tips out there...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. If anyone has any other good general info to share I would appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back