Stout looks like an amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While you are correct that black malt and roasted barley are not the same thing, 1# of roast barley in a 5 gallon batch is the appropriate amount for a Guinness or Beamish type stout... There is no reason, assuming correct grind and sufficient steeping of the grain, that the beer would be that amber color... NONE... there are only four possible culprits; the grain was not crushed properly, the grain didn't get saturated properly, the amount of roast was actually substantially less than 1#, or it was not in fact roast barley at all but a different grain altogether... the last, again, is the most likely culprit of the four.

It is odd.. I looked at Biermuncher's Guinness clone recipe and it was definitely black with only 1.75# of roasted barley and didn't even have the 120 crystal that this recipe had <shrug>

It must be one of those reasons like mentioned above. Even with the golden LME instead of amber I believe now over my previous knowledge that it should be black.

I just got finished bottling and brewing the same recipe again. They still didn't have any amber extract, so the recipe is exactly the same as before.

We'll see how it goes this time. One thing is for sure. 2 oz of hops was way too much for that beer. I scaled them back to the proper amount this time. (1.5oz)

I ended up with 49 bottles. I'm going to name it Inbetweer. :mug:

I see you are in Hillsboro. Where do you go for your LHBS?

Try F.H. Steinbart. Great store, however, its in east Portland.

Have you ever been to Brew Brothers? It's a 25ish minute drive for me, but absolutely worth it. Nice people, fantastic prices, and they have everything.

Brew Bros has great prices...can be a little disorganized at times. Mainbrew off of 26 at the Brookwood Pkwy exit (1 exit W. of Cornelius Pass) is also a good store. Prices are a little higher, but great selection, can buy commercial beer in bottles and kegs, growlers etc. also.

I'm may a similar issue with a stout... a 2 week gravity sample of my deception milk stout was way more brown (chocolate milk color) than black. I followed the recipe listed here:

4.50 lb Amber Dry Extract - 53.76 %
1.5 lb Wheat Dry Extract (60% Wheat) - 16.37 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L - 8.96 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) - 8.96 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) - 5.97 %
0.50 lb Lactose 5.97 % (Boil 10 min)

0.75 oz German Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) - 27.0 IBU

with the only differences being an extra .25 lb of crystal (accident) and an extra .5 lb of lactose (on purpose). Hopville shows an SRM of 37, so i hope when i bottle in a few weeks the color has changed.

I'm may a similar issue with a stout... a 2 week gravity sample of my deception milk stout was way more brown (chocolate milk color) than black. I followed the recipe listed here:

4.50 lb Amber Dry Extract - 53.76 %
1.5 lb Wheat Dry Extract (60% Wheat) - 16.37 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L - 8.96 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) - 8.96 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) - 5.97 %
0.50 lb Lactose 5.97 % (Boil 10 min)

0.75 oz German Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) - 27.0 IBU

with the only differences being an extra .25 lb of crystal (accident) and an extra .5 lb of lactose (on purpose). Hopville shows an SRM of 37, so i hope when i bottle in a few weeks the color has changed.

Assuming there are no issues with the crush, etc., chances are that you just have a lot of yeast still in suspension... stout tends to look like milk chocolate until it floccs out

Assuming there are no issues with the crush, etc., chances are that you just have a lot of yeast still in suspension... stout tends to look like milk chocolate until it floccs out

kinda what i was thinking... :mug:

I had a very similar experience earlier this year. In my case, the culprit was the virtue that my LHBS was selling roast at 300SRM instead of 500SRM, which the recipe technically called for. I have since learned to double-check the roast level on my dark grains! I ended up adding some Sinnamar to the batch to darken it up.

I have the same issue. Russian imperial stout. I went back to the manufacturer and got a different kit for no cost. Figure if its gonna take me 3-4 months of effort and waiting, I want it to turn out like its supposed to. I have to give em props, they have a satisfaction guarantee and they stood by it (home brewers outpost).

Don't fret over the color. Just enjoy drinking it and use a different recipe next time.

I'm mainly looking to correct errors that I'm making, rather than stressing over what the beer looks like.

Process will be even more critical when I step up to an all-grain brew.

Black barley and roasted barley are two different grains. Although roasted barley is 300L (black barley 500L) it is still possible in consideration of the rest of grains in a recipe to not come out black.

UK Roasted Barley is 500-550L, according to Forrest at AHS it's the same as black barley

My next batch after the imperial stout was my first all grain kit. Cream stout. Came out black as night!

I think you are getting black barley confused with black patent. The wiki explains a difference as well as SRM and I've found numerous forums explaining the difference. It does get confusing because a lot of people seem to mix up Black malt with black patent, black roasted malt.. etc.

Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service: Roasted v. Black barley

Black Malt = Black Patent (malted)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/black-patent-black-malt-88387/

Black Barley = Dark Roasted Barley (unmalted)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/black-patent-roasted-barley-500l-black-barley-difference-127331/

UK Roasted Barley is 500-550L, according to Forrest at AHS it's the same as black barley

Quotes from the link posted earlier....

"In the Zymurgy issue with the Bell's recipes, the article differentiates between roasted and black barley. It says most English rb are almost black and most American rb are closer to choc. malt color and temperament. Briess sells both "roasted" and "black". Bell's recommends the blacker, English type."

"Of course you know that Briess roasted barley, and Briess black barley are both "roasted barley". The difference is that the one is 300L and the other is 500L. The lighter roasted barley has a more coffe-like flavor while the darker is drier. I like to mix the two, but I don't see much point in using both the black barley and black patent. Old 1800s stout recipes show black patent in place of roasted barley, since stouts were just pumped up porters anyway."

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bl...0l-black-barley-difference-127331/index2.html

In case you don't want to search through the link..

"Yea Black Patent is malted, Black Barley is 500+L unmalted, and Roasted Barley tends to be 300L, sometimes it's called light."

Quotes from the link posted earlier....

"In the Zymurgy issue with the Bell's recipes, the article differentiates between roasted and black barley. It says most English rb are almost black and most American rb are closer to choc. malt color and temperament. Briess sells both "roasted" and "black". Bell's recommends the blacker, English type."

"Of course you know that Briess roasted barley, and Briess black barley are both "roasted barley". The difference is that the one is 300L and the other is 500L. The lighter roasted barley has a more coffe-like flavor while the darker is drier. I like to mix the two, but I don't see much point in using both the black barley and black patent. Old 1800s stout recipes show black patent in place of roasted barley, since stouts were just pumped up porters anyway."

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bl...0l-black-barley-difference-127331/index2.html

In case you don't want to search through the link..

"Yea Black Patent is malted, Black Barley is 500+L unmalted, and Roasted Barley tends to be 300L, sometimes it's called light."

right - that's specifically talking about Briess 300L roasted barley which they refer to as light roasted barley

i was referring to the dark Roasted Barley which is 500+L

I'm 99% sure that black barley and roasted barley is the same thing (highly roasted unmalted) aka, the thing required in Stout. Black patent is malted and used mostly in Porters.

You are correct, sir.

my original quote stated UK roasted Barley which is 500+L - i should have stuck with UK Roasted barley in the last quote instead of calling it "dark roasted"

it wasn't really specified earlier as to which you were referring to originally

i guess the confusion lies in that roasted barley seems to have the most variance based on who it comes from

Finally got around to cracking one of these that has been conditioning for the last few weeks. The color is actually quite a bit darker than the original pics (due to the beer clarifying), but still much too light. The initial bitterness has also mellowed a bit.

I'd probably give it a 5/10, but it was my first beer. Hopefully the next batch turns out better. I'll also let a bunch of these condition some more to see if it gets any better.

Drinking one of my first batch beers tonight, and it has gotten so much better.

The head on it won't go away. I poured it 45 minutes ago and a thick, creamy head is still sitting on the beer. I'm loving it now.

Back