Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landocota

Reaction score
I just recently got a 5 gallon all grain cooler system and now I need to get a bigger brew kettle. I can't decide between a 32 quart or 40 quart. My initial thought is the 32q may be too small. Any advice?

I just bought a 40 even though I first was planning on a 32. I was planning to do BIAB and you need the space. You may not need it for a cooler system as the grains aren't in the pot and those take up space.

I would not go with something less than 40 quart. I have a 60 quart in which I do five gallon batches -- love it. So, I will say what many others on the forum have said, go bigger if you can afford it. It will pay off in the long run.

Mark:mug:

Don't think I've ever read a post where someone said "I should have bought the smaller pot" :)

Assuming 5 gallon batches, you're going to be around 7 gallons pre-boil.

I just picked up a 40 quart on amazing for 50 bux shipped (aluminum). I think the price difference for the 32 and 40 was a few dollars.

The 32qt will be tight for 5 gallon batches (depending on your boil-off rate). IMO far better to go with the 40qt kettle. If you're getting the pot to convert into a kettle then the cost difference should be minimal. Do yourself a favor and get a good (i.e. Cobalt) step bit to make the holes. 7/8" is the most common size hole you'll need to make.

I have a 10 gallon Blichmann that I've been using to get 6.5 gallons into primary. I'm also in the process of making a keggle for bigger boils (when I start with more than 8.5-9 gallons). It will also be ready for when I start making 10 gallon batches too.

Which pots/kettles have you been looking at?

I have a 32 qt. and it works but you WILL have some boilover, however slight. I now have a keggle that I use and it's the difference between night and day. it's nice to be able to crank up the heat and not worry at all about it. So, if you have the choice, go BIGGER!

Thanks for all the advice, I was lucky and found a 40 qt stainless steel pot. Now all I need to do is install a ball valve...

Back