Carbonate with fake sugar??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Articifial sugars are non fermentable. Sweeten the rootbeer with splenda but use a minute measure of real sugar to carbonate (the yeast will convert the sucrose to a negligent bit of alcohol so your root beer will remain diabetic-safe).

Splenda won't- but there is a different splenda/sucrose blend that may. (Check the package).

I'd use splenda for sweetening, and then some sucrose for carbing. (the yeast will eat the sucrose and produce co2 and ethanol as byproducts- that's what would carb up the soda).

If you are kegging and and want to use splenda you can still force carb. Yeast cannot eat Splenda so it will not carb up in bottles if you are looking to naturally carb the soda.

I am diabetic and use stetivia sweetner for making my soda..... I do add about a quarter cup of molasas for birch and root beer as was suggested to me by one of the regulars here...... I use all artfical sweetner for my grape soda.....I force carbonate in a keg.....I bought the keg just because of my condition and because it is quick compared to fermenting.......I make a keg over a weekend

Splenda is perfect for sweetening soda. You can then either force carb in keg (my choice, the absolute best way IMO) or go ahead and bottle condition. You would need to mix a yeast slurry in of course and some yeast nutrient. The carbonation process would eat up the sugars to an extreme degree and the product should be fine for a diabetic... As noted above, Splenda will not ferment. When the product came out, I emailed them for this very reason. I never actually made the soda, but the above info is what they sent back to me. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

What if I sweeten the root beer with Splenda then keg it and force carb with CO2. Would I be able to bottle and would it stay carb'ed???

What if I sweeten the root beer with Splenda then keg it and force carb with CO2. Would I be able to bottle and would it stay carb'ed???

Yes. Remember that you'd need a LONG serving line, to avoid knocking the co2 out of suspension on the way to the bottle, and use a counter pressure bottle filler. I think 25' of serving line would be adequate, but make sure you turn the pressure down when bottling to about 2-3 psi and use a counter pressure device to avoid losing carbonation!

I have a question, when sweeting with splenda and then bottle carving with sugar would you use the same as when making beer, I believe 3/4 cup to 5 gallon? And also if only using a small amount of sugar to carb you wouldn't need to put it in the fridge to stop the carbing?

Back