Question on priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTPalmer

Reaction score
So my first batch will be ready to bottle within the week and I have been looking on the forums for priming sugar. My question is, how much do I use? Is there an easy way to calculate such?

Be careful about styles though. I used one for my ESB that said that 1.3 volumes would be "to style" but it was much much too flat for my taste, and I guess that's not a typical carbonation level for bottles. I like 2.5 volumes for most everything- the ESB probably would have been better at 2 volumes.

It will be hitting two weeks soon. I have been told that when the gravity levels out then its ready to bottle.

It will be hitting two weeks soon. I have been told that when the gravity levels out then its ready to bottle.

It is. But, if the beer isn't clear, it is better to leave it in the fermenter until it's clear so that you have less crud in the bottles!

I use 1 ounce of corn sugar (by weight) per gallon of beer. It works great, and I never have overcarbed or undercarbed beer.

The main reason I am curious is.. now don't judge... But its a mrbeer 2gal kit and they say to drop sugar directly into each bottle 3/4tsp per bottle. I know this is a terrible way to do it so I'm looking to get on the right path, haha. I'll be buying my 5gal setup off my uncle this Christmas but until then I have to make due! So now do I make a syrup with the sugar or drop right into the primary? Sorry to sound like a complete newb, haha.

No judges here....well, not a lot of judges here. I just had a co-worker (that used a Mr. Beer kit) 3 weeks ago, tell me that instead of putting dry sugar in each bottle, he took the total amount of dry sugar and a equal part water, boiled, cooled and put ≈ 1 Tsp of the simple syrup in each bottle. He used a new/sanitized medicine syringe type things that you can give little kids medicine. He said that he tried on this past weekend and it seemed to be carbed up fine.

If I'm just bottling a few I use a spoonful of sugar, normally 1/2 tsp per 12 oz bottle. Sometimes I've even weighed out 2.5 grams per bottle. It works fine. I do have a Mr. Beer fermenter but I'll siphon it into a bottling bucket and bulk prime. Most of the time I make 5.5 gallons and when I rack to a keg or secondary I bottle the extra little bit.

Back