5 weeks in primary, stuck at 1.021

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
Ok I brewed a oatmeal stout 5 weeks ago.

Expected gravities:
OG: 1.06
FG: 1.016

Actual OG 1.07

So I went to bottle the stout, checked the gravity and it is at 1.021.

After 5 weeks in the primary I would think that fermentation would be done.

Should I bottle this, or pitch more yeast?

That depends on what you prefer. Taste it, is it overly malty? If so maybe repitch with a bit stronger yeast. You may have used a yeast that doesn't do well at slightly higher alcohol level. Right now it's at 6.6%abv.

Edit: forgot to add that if you like the flavor, just keep it as is, and bottle.

More details would help, is this an all grain batch? What was your mash temps, etc?

0.005 really isn't that much to worry about. Every fermentation is different, it's really not worth trying to follow someone else's notes. There's just too many variables that can make a beer finish with a higher or lower gravity than anticipated.

More than likely the beer is finished. I would warm the fermenter up and check back in a week. But it's probably done. It's only 5 points off from the ESTIMATED final gravity, and especially if it was and extract batch it's not surprising that it would finish around 1.020.

I wouldn't add more yeast, after waiting five weeks I wouldn't add anything you would want to wait more time to settle/clear.

Yes it is an extract recipe.
I fermented this batch at 63 degrees, in a fermentation chamber.

I'll bring it inside the house, 72 degrees, and wait another week.

Thanks for all the great advise.

I had the same problem with an all grain batch of stout. Waited another 3 weeks and it crept down to 1.018. I said screw it and reluctantly kegged it. Was one of the best beers I have ever made. One thing you may do, if it is in a bucket, is give it a stir and put the yeast back into suspension once you get the temp up a little. But honestly your temp doesn't look like an issue. If you are really adamant about making sure fermentation is complete, throw a packet of safale-04 in there and see what happens.

Not that it is always the case, but sometimes you just have to ignore the hydrometer. If it is done, it is done. Let your tongue be the judge. As home brewers, we tend to over analyze things and get too critical of our beers.

1.070 to 1.021 = 70%. That's all you are going to get from some yeasts. You didn't say what yeast you used. Some folks use lactose in stouts. If you did, that would increase the FG too.

I'd get it warm for a week and see if it changes. If it doesn't, you are done.

the one thing to consider is that if the beer is under attenuated and you add sugar at bottling, the yeast may get all excited again and also ferment the sugars still left in the beer, causing over carbing. However, i doubt that'll be an issue. like everyone else said, it's probably done and you're good.

With an OG of 1.070, and a FG of 1.021, that sounds about right for an "Imperial" oatmeal stout! My favorite oatmeal stout finishes at 1.020. It's full, rich, malty and delicious. Yours attenuated 70%, which is fine. The beer is done.

More than likely the beer is finished. I would warm the fermenter up and check back in a week. But it's probably done. It's only 5 points off from the ESTIMATED final gravity, and especially if it was and extract batch it's not surprising that it would finish around 1.020.

I wouldn't add more yeast, after waiting five weeks I wouldn't add anything you would want to wait more time to settle/clear.

Pay attention to this man! He's right on the money here.

Back