Lager in fermentor, smells like banana farm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrossCreekBrewing

Reaction score
I have two 5 gallon carboys in my fermentor, one with white labs German lager, the other with white labs south German lager. Been 13 days at 51F. Smells like a banana farm in the fermentor/keezer. Should I let it primary longer or will these problems be dealt with in secondary/lagering?

To answer your question first- yes.

Are you planning to do a diacetyl rest? If so, what's your SG right now? D-rest is common for a lot of lagers (most? all?). If so, you should do it while there is still some active fermentation going on. That will help with some off flavors, and more will be worked out in the lagering process.

Yes, I'll do a diacetyl rest if you think that will help, but the banana is not diacetyl, assuming the thought is the rest will help with the ester aroma also?

I am curious if anyone else has experience with banana smells and this yeast? I pitched cold(about 47F), let it warm to 51F where it stated the rest of the time, not sure why I would have yielded the esters. Pitched with a gallon yeast starter into each, feel confident I aerated enough. Anyone have any ideas?

Fermentation smells usually aren't indicative of final product. They're why you do a lagering. I know banana isn't diacetyl, but a d-rest should be done with your lagers anway.

The smells are just a property of the yeast, especially since your temps and pitching rate look fine. I'm sure you've read about the strain that gives you a lovely "hungover rhino farts" smell in the fermentor, and that's not a flavor I've ever tasted in any beer. You're fine- you did everything you should, so RDWHAHB for now.

Latest posts

Back