Fruit Beer Requiem Raspberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to have to agree, I made some changes and the beer still came out really nice. Just tasted, took a gravity reading (1.015 after 7 days fermenting), and threw her on 30oz of raspberries and 10oz of blueberries. She's been on the fruit for a couple hours now and is starting to look quite nice! After the sample, I have very high hopes for this brew.

I'm going to have to agree, I made some changes and the beer still came out really nice. Just tasted, took a gravity reading (1.015 after 7 days fermenting), and threw her on 30oz of raspberries and 10oz of blueberries. She's been on the fruit for a couple hours now and is starting to look quite nice! After the sample, I have very high hopes for this brew.

What were your changes?

different hops, different yeast, some liquid malt extract in the mix. i listed the changes on page two in more detail. smelled absolutely amazing as I was putting her in secondary, tasted very nice, but the aroma was heavenly!

different hops, different yeast, some liquid malt extract in the mix. i listed the changes on page two in more detail. smelled absolutely amazing as I was putting her in secondary, tasted very nice, but the aroma was heavenly!

I mean I have the conversions done properly, but I'm just a little confused about what the IBU's would be. To me, this is just a typical brown ale with a fruit addition. With that said, should it be hopped to an American Brown standard?

Just bottled with malt extract and I must say the gravity sample was very tasty. Very dry almost wine like. Raspberry tartness and some hop bitterness up front (i made substitutions though) with a slight malty finish. Alcohol is present throughout, but almost acts like glue. It's holding onto every aspect but it's not crazy. My batch wound up at 7.7% abv, I primaried for a week, secondary for a week on 10oz blueberries and 30oz raspberries.
Quite pleased with this one but cleanup was a slut.

Is it bad if you use a higher % rate on the hops. I have 1 oz Cent at about 12% and 1 oz Northern at 12% as well. Should I go with less hops since the % is much higher?

Just have to tell you I have 2 bottles of this brew left, only because I have been rationed it out. LOL;) My friends and family have enjoyed this way to much, they can't wait for more to come. So the only thing I have to say about this recipe is... It has set everyones expectations way to high.. Hopefully I can keep them interested with all the other brews I have been brewing. Ha Ha Ha... CHEERS!

AWESOME RECIPE!

Not sure if anyone will get back to this one or not - but I was wondering if anyone used LME for this recipe? Also which White Labs (my preference) would you use for this recipe? I was thinking English Ale, but not sure?

going to brew a batch of this in the next couple of weeks. i cant wait. Its going to be served at valentines dinner with a bunch of good friends...

ScottishPete and volstag could you please post the all grain version? Thanks

Here's an AG version.

Recipe: Requiem Blackberry
Brewer: Jacob
Asst Brewer:
Style: Fruit Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) Add

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 10.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.32 %
0.80 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.31 %
0.15 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.37 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (25 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (7 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
2.50 lb Raspberry (Secondary 2.0 weeks) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Hopping is a bit different, but IBU's are the same.

just bottled this, though I used blackberries because they were half the price, and used 48oz instead of 40, cant wait to see how it tastes

I'm trying this with a 3-berry frozen mix I got from Costco which includes raspberries, blueberries, and marionberries, which I'd never heard of before now. It should be interesting...

had my first try of this, only in the bottle for about 6 days, so not nearly carbed. It is quite drinkable and tasty (I used blackberries btw). Will be a good treat to bring home for thanksgiving

As a rookie/noob I have been looking for a great extract recipe and I feel I have found a winner! Thanks! I will post an updates through my brewing process

I'm trying this with a 3-berry frozen mix I got from Costco which includes raspberries, blueberries, and marionberries, which I'd never heard of before now. It should be interesting...

It ended up being a tiny bit sour, but it's not off-putting and still incredibly aromatic and tasty. I think next time I'll cut back on the berries or use a sweeter mix just to perfect the taste.

Here is my question:

Right now there are 1.00 0z of Northern Brewer [6.60 %] (60 min) Hops 15.0 IBU. Will it help to balance the sweetness if I add another 1.00 oz and/or reduce the ammount of time in the secondary fermenter to 5 days from 7 days?

Okay, I went to my LHBS and bought all the ingredients... I will keep everyone posted on the progress with pictures...

Although,

This may be a total dead thread =(

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/member...brewing-process/1884-violent-fermentation.jpg

1884-violent-fermentation.jpg

With all the fermentable sugars, after 12 hours the fermentation is quite violent!

Hey guys, looking for any suggestions. I brewed up a batch of this yesterday. Long story short I accidentally brewed about 6.25gallons using a 5gal recipe. The OG came out to be veryyy low 1.038-1.040. Its already bubbling away in the primary. My question is, is there any way to bump up the ABV without ruining the taste? Adding DME to the secondary with the raspberries? Or do you think the raspberries alone will give it enough alcohol? I dont need a real strong abv, but I would like atleast 4%, 5% would be ideal. Any thoughts??? Thanks!

Update: After four days in the secondary I tasted a sample and it seems a bit sour. I hope it balances out with age as it is always hard to judge a beer so "green."

Update: After four days in the secondary I tasted a sample and it seems a bit sour. I hope it balances out with age as it is always hard to judge a beer so "green."

It will. I was concerned as well, but after about 4 weeks of aging the sourness almost went away completely and turned into more of a dry finish.

I was picking a raspberry seed or two out of every 5th pint for the next two brews because they hide in the picnic line. That's how I learned how to clean picnic taps!

I am having trouble getting my faucet to stop leaking because of all the seeds that build up =(

I am have learned soooo much fro brewing this beer alone lol

Okay, my last post for this thread. The blackberry has seriously mellowed out a lot and this has become the best brew I have done yet! Thank you for the great recipe and I cannot wait to try it with Rasperries!

Mouthfeel is very bubbly as it is carbed at 15 lbs in the kegerator.
It has a great sweet blackberry nose and is deep red in color almost lambic looking.
Initial taste is sweet with blackberry and it quickly fades clean with a small ammount of hopp traces at the end; no ligering bitterness or after taste. Overall, it is a 8.5 out of 10! GREAT BREW!!

Here is a Picture:

3061-blackberry-ale.jpg

So, I'm new to the forum and to brewing and this is going to be my next beer. However I am going to use a LME instead of DME.
I bought Pilsner LME on accident and am wondering if this would change the flavor enough to not use it in this beer?

Thanks for the recipe! I'm brewing this tomorrow. I was going to today, but I need more Cascade.

One question: Has anyone tried back-sweetening this with lactose?

So, I'm new to the forum and to brewing and this is going to be my next beer. However I am going to use a LME instead of DME.
I bought Pilsner LME on accident and am wondering if this would change the flavor enough to not use it in this beer?

This recipe masks any small mistakes you may make.... I say try it out with the Pilsner! Keep us all updated and perhaps we will all try it with Pilsner.

Are you using Blackberries or Raspberries?

:ban:

Back