Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrench001

Reaction score
Yeah yeah I know another infection thread, but I haven't seen one posted that looks similar. So infected or just some kind of weird yeast icebergs? EDIT: It's hard to tell from the picture but it basically looks like a wheel of cheese about 2-3 inches thick that broke up into 4 large chunks.

IMG_0396_small.jpg

IMG_0391_small.jpg

Wow, I've had some interesting chunks of ??? but that is really impressive. I actually don't think it looks like an infection. My chunks of ??? have been maybe an inch or so and lots of them but the beer was just fine.

What is the recipe and yeast? It could just be the yeast cake and trub stuck together and floated before breaking apart.

Is this post fermentation? Give us some more specifics about how you got to this point.

At first glance, it looks like you just left your sponges in the carboy (I'm being facetious). But really, it looks like break material, but I've never seen it float in large chunks like that, much less float.

-Steve

I will say I have seen some belgian yeasts start off like that before they build a full krausen...some yeast "bloom" like that before they fully take off....I call them krausen-bergs...'cause they look like icebergs....

We need more info..but if it's only the beginnning of fermentation, then I betcha a beer...it will look normal tomorrow...

Here's the recipe...

Code:
Recipe: ESB
Brewer: Joe
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (0.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 43.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
6 lbs         Maris Otter Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)      Extract      75.00 %       
1 lbs         Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)                   Grain        12.50 %       
1 lbs         Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)              Grain        12.50 %       
1.00 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (60 min)            Hops         19.6 IBU      
1.00 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %]  (40 min)    Hops         15.6 IBU      
0.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %]  (15 min)    Hops         4.4 IBU       
0.50 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (5 min)             Hops         2.0 IBU       
0.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %]  (5 min)     Hops         1.8 IBU       
0.50 tsp      Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min)            Misc                       
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                       
1 Pkgs        Nottingham (Danstar #-)                   Yeast-Ale                       

Notes:
------
Steeped grains for 40 min at 155F.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And those pics were taken about exactly 24 hours after brewing.

You're fine then....you will have a fully formed krausen tommorrow...They just chose to bloom funny..that's all. I had one start like that that looked like a human ear...

24 hours is really too soon for any type of infection to occur...and besides it is really hard for that to happen anyway. Infections really are rare...

Yeasties are odd ducks most of the time...so just relax. :mug:

I have found that if you don't obsessively stare at your fermenters and instead just pitch your yeast and walk away for 3-4 weeks and come back to bottle, you are much calmer...Becasue you trust that the yeasties know what they are doing...at least that works for me.

Yeah I figured as much, just freaked me out cause I've never seen it look like that. I just brewed an Arrogant Bastard clone two days ago with the same yeast and it was bubbling away at 24 hours. Weird, oh well. Thanks for the input guys!

Looks like seriously flocculated break material from using whirlfloc. I get this every time I use kettle finings, but it usually doesn't form such a large single piece. RDWHAHB, it's definitely not an infection.

Back