What size CO2 tanks do you use for two 5 gallon kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to invest into a 2 keg system and i was just wondering what size CO2 tanks you guys use for a 2 keg system? I don't want to be refilling my CO2 all the time so im thinkin about getting a 10 lb tank.

I have a 20lb'er hooked up to 2 corny's. Been going since Feb. and haven't needed a refill yet.

In case you haven't purchased yet consider this: There are a limited number of places that can fill a 5# tank here in the greater Atlanta area. I have to drive to Norcross. And of more concern to me is the $ I pay, the LHBS is a total rip off.

A 5# tank refill is approx $18 at Cintas last time I had one filled but I can get a 20# swap out for the same money down near the airport. I have both a 5 and 20 lb and if money is of any concern whatsoever go for a 20.

I use more gas than the average bear because I like highly carbonated beer like Duvel. I figure if I going to the trouble of brewing I might as well brew the expensive stuff.

If you haven't bought anything yet, I'd go with at least a 10# tank if it fits with your application. Meaning - if you're putting two kegs in a dorm fridge and want to put the CO2 in there as well, you may need to get a smaller tank. If you're going to have the tank outside the fridge, get as big as you can find. I've got a 10# that doesn't need refilling very often, and I just picked up a 15# tank that will become my primary tank in the near future. Bigger's generally better; fewer refills, usually cheaper per-pound when you swap, and not all that much more $$ to buy up-front.

I've got a 5# which works, but I've been keeping my eyes open for something bigger on craigslist since I carbonate soda I go through my 5# faster than I'd like (plus it is a pain in the neck having an 8-5 job when most welding supply is open... 8-5, so takes some ingenuity to find time to fill my tank).

I found a GREAT deal on a 20#er at a liquor store here in town. That was a few months ago and I'm betting I won't have to worry about refilling for quite awhile.

Like everyone else said.....go bigger if you can!

A 5# tank typically gets me through 8+ kegs. That's both force carbing and serving.

In case you haven't purchased yet consider this: There are a limited number of places that can fill a 5# tank here in the greater Atlanta area. I have to drive to Norcross. And of more concern to me is the $ I pay, the LHBS is a total rip off.

A 5# tank refill is approx $18 at Cintas last time I had one filled but I can get a 20# swap out for the same money down near the airport. I have both a 5 and 20 lb and if money is of any concern whatsoever go for a 20.

I use more gas than the average bear because I like highly carbonated beer like Duvel. I figure if I going to the trouble of brewing I might as well brew the expensive stuff.

Have you tried this place? They charge $9 to fill a 5lb tank, while you wait.

Like everyone else said.....go bigger if you can!

Go bigger if you can, but go for multiples first. Nothing sucks worse than having a bottle kick on a Friday afternoon and not having a spare. Ever tried having to pour your glass from a corny top all weekend? :drunk:

I have a 5# tank and three taplines. if I could do it over I would get a 10#. it's not pushing beer that takes a lot of gas its carbing!

I have two 5# and have been generally satisifed. Each tank can last a year, depending on what I have going on. I have valves at each output on the regulator that i shut off to minimize leaking when the outputs are not in use. One handles the fridge and three taps (plus maybe a picnic tap) as well as the floor storage area for aging (3 more "outputs") and the other can go into one of the chest freezers for aging and/or storage.

Go bigger if you can, but go for multiples first. Nothing sucks worse than having a bottle kick on a Friday afternoon and not having a spare. Ever tried having to pour your glass from a corny top all weekend? :drunk:

CO2 charger, baby! Works awesome for parties, one less piece of bulky gear to lug around, and handy as an emergency backup.

I have a CO2 charger for an emergency bike pump. Anyone make a ball lock to schrader (tire) valve adapter?

i started with a 5# from keg connection. I now also have a 20# as my primary, the 5# for utiliy purposes (purging kegs, dispensing starsan from a spare keg, etc.) and have the kobalt portable rig with 20 oz. tank. Its similar to the paintball rig Edwort and Lustreking made.

I have four cornies and I keep a 10# inside of my kegerator to supply the normal delivery and storage pressures. I also have a 20# that I keep outside for purging, line cleaning, force carbonating etc. I filled both of them around the beginning of this year and don't expect to have to fill them again until sometime next year. It's overkill but I like having more than enough rather than not enough.

How much CO2 you need depends on how fast you drink your beer, not how many kegs you have. I have 4-5 kegs on gas at any one time, but 90% of the CO2 goes into soda water (35 psi). Going through 3 kegs of soda water a month, I'm looking at swapping a #5 bottle every other month or so.

I opted for 20#, in the room with my hvac, ran it out the wall under the screened off part of my deck, ran the line through the drain on my Sanyo 4912 with a manifold inside for 2 kegs. Eventually I'll add a keezer off the other reg output. I've never had to refill my cylinder in 15 or so kegs. Cost to buy and refill was too close to go for the smaller one.

Just refilled my 4 lber for the first time since March. It runs three tap lines and a dedicated force carbing line. Check prices before you decide on where to fill. Amazing I can get cheaper fills from my LHBS (What Ales You) than I can from Ramsey Welding Supply.

I have two 20# tanks so I'm good for a while. ;)

I just picked up and modified this for portable CO2 and emergency back up:

Rolling_Kegger1.jpg

I use a 5 and a 20. I just swapped the 20 this morning and it costs the same as when I swap the 5 ??? Two different companies though. I have 3 cornies hooked to the 5 and it seems to last a long time. The 20 lasts a really really long time. It's nice to have one for the fridge and one to force carb. I also use the 20 when I bleed off a keg and I set the pressure at about 1 pound to slowly fill growlers with short racking cane stuffed into a picnic tap.

I am about to invest into a 2 keg system and i was just wondering what size CO2 tanks you guys use for a 2 keg system? I don't want to be refilling my CO2 all the time so im thinkin about getting a 10 lb tank.

i have a 50lbser on my 4keg system,i think it'll last forever by the looks of things so far:mug:

I have 2 5# tanks as they fit best in my fridge (I would be able to fit a 10 #er in there though).

When one tank kicks, I swap in my spare full one and then have the other refilled. This works great, especially, if I run out on a weekend or if I had a leak for some reason and I wanted to trouble shoot it for some reason.

I have 2 5# tanks as they fit best in my fridge (I would be able to fit a 10 #er in there though).

When one tank kicks, I swap in my spare full one and then have the other refilled. This works great, especially, if I run out on a weekend or if I had a leak for some reason and I wanted to trouble shoot it for some reason.

Old thread I see, but +1 on that Bopper. I'd take two 5#'ers over a 10 any day. In fact, that's what I have. ;)

buy two 5# tanks instead of a 10# tank. At least that way a leak doesn't mean you lose all your Co2. Plus when the first runs out, you can refill it while the 2nd is being used - never a gap in service!

edit: LOL! I just repeated the previous 2 posts...

I've got a 5# tank for my two cornies and I've only had to fill it once in the past year. That is partly because it takes me about 2 months to empty a keg. If I drank it faster I'm sure I would have to refill my CO2 more often.

Back