spiders, kill them or let them stay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thooper41

Reaction score
i have very small spiders maybe about 2mm in size with small webs that are on set up on my hop supports. i didnt think they would do the hops any harm and might eat bugs that will? so do i let them stay or give them the soap spray?

i have very small spiders maybe about 2mm in size with small webs that are on set up on my hop supports. i didnt think they would do the hops any harm and might eat bugs that will? so do i let them stay or give them the soap spray?

They might help deter aphids or beatles.

there is the spider

IMGP0121.jpg

i have 9 growing and only one is doing this on the bottom two leaves. would be from the spider would it?

IMGP0118.jpg

Killing spiders is bad karma plus, If you think of traditional hop fields, they probably don't kill spiders, but I may be totally wrong.

Greg

Spiders are GOOD, don't KILL them. Your hops will thank you. Oh and Spiders ONLY eat insects, they are not designed to eat plants or make spots on your leaves.

I can't see the pictures(stoopid work firewall), but from the size you described, are you sure they're spiders? They could be spider mites, which aren't actual spiders, and they DO eat hop plants! Spidermites make a thick webbing on the undersides of the leaves. The leaves they live on start to shrivel up and get spotty looking because they're eating the juices.

twospotted_mite.jpg

After doing some research on the internet I think those are hop spiders.

Hop Spiders: Hop spiders are tiny spiders that eat hops. :(

Your doomed. :D

2poy0yb.jpg

Wait... your not saying I shopped that are you? Because I found that in my garage last week. :ban:

What if the spider was living in your hair?

Living, or just hanging out?

I hate spiders though, first year I got tons of crickets and huge spiders to eat them. This year it seems I have a handful of lizards which are eating the spiders (and crickets). Now I just need something to eat the lizards. This is starting to get to "wild" for me. :mad:

Taipans, get some snakes to eat the lizards.

I think I have some of those also, although we get these weird lizards that are legless and a few feet long. So I am not sure as I caught it just for a second before one went under my porch. I live in a new subdivision, with no woods, fields or anything near. However my yard for some reason is like a damn nature reserve! As much as I complain though I would rather have almost anything thing the giant wolf spiders running around. They just freak me out!

Back