cascadian dark ale ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldbread

Reaction score
hey gang.

pretty new to the forum and also pretty new to brewing.

my method is 3 gallon biab and i'd like to do a cascadian dark ale. i'm loosely following the recipe from brewing tv episode 54, seen here:

http://brewingtv.com/recipe/2012/4/25/jakes-cascadian-dark-ale-brew-in-a-bag-biab.html

however, i don't have the exact ingredients and wanted to get some feedback about my plan.

5.25 lbs American 2-Row - sub Maris Otter
0.5 lb Carafa III - sub Black Malt
1.25 lbs Medium Crystal - sub CaraMunich 2

the hops call for a blend of mt. rainier, palisade and centennial. however, i'd like to use what i have in stock, which is:

centennial
cascade
simcoe
citra
chinook

does anyone have any feedback/ideas about this? i'd appreciate it.

thanks!

I'd do about the same for malt subs. For hops check out this handy chart. Complete with flavour descriptions and supposedly reasonable substitutions. Might take a try or two from the drop down menu to find the original hop you're after, but well worth it.

I would use Centennial or Chinook for bittering and a couple late additions of Cent. & Cascade. I'd also dryhop with that same combo. Try to keep IBU's around 56 or so. Should be quite tasty! I make a similar black ale with Columbus & Cascade. It's awesome imo. What yeast are you using? WLP001 or WY1056 would both work great. Good luck! :tank:

the carafa is better for a black ale than the black malt. obviously both work but the carafa is better.

I wonder if that is regular or special (dehusked) carafa in the original. I'm also in the camp that would use something dehusked or debittered in a cascadian dark - carafa specials, midnight wheat, blackprinz, etc.

Edit: looks like Jake's is regular carafa

1 Alaska Black IPA (Cascadian Dark Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.068 (°P): 16.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 6.68 %
Colour (SRM): 20.0 (EBC): 39.4
Bitterness (IBU): 85.5 (Average)

84.99% Pale Ale Malt
5.01% Crystal 40
5% Wheat Malt, Dark
2.5% Brown Malt
2.5% Chocolate

0.5 oz Magnum (12.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.25 oz Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1 oz Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
1 oz Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.75 oz Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Aroma)
0.5 oz Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)
0. 5oz Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)
0.375oz U.S. Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)
0.1 oz Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)

0.1 oz/Gal Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 90 Minutes (Mash)

Single step Infusion at 152°F for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 68°F with Wyeast 1968 - London ESB Ale

Notes: 10/02/2013 I will be brewing this beer tomorrow. Since I have had only had a couple of tastes of this beer, I don't really know what it is that I expect. I hope that my wife likes it as well,or even better than the Alaskan Black IPA that I have tried to model this on

I'm not a hoppy beer kind of guy usually, but I had one (what name I do not remember) wait, sort of; it came from Trader Joe's and had an IBU rating of 60+. I did not find that beer too bitter for me to like. My wife really likes the hoppy beers and the darker style beers; I like Porters and Stouts myself. Being fairly new to brewing, my experience with hops is very limited. I like Cascade. I really like Amarillo as a dry hop addition. I don't know if I know/remember what Centennial tastes like, but I do know the Cascade -Centennial combination is used often in different styles of beer, so I am semi confident this combination will work together. I will also take a chance by using 1/2 oz of Magnum whole hops I have left over from another batch as the main bittering hop this time.

When I made the American Amber II, I flipped the hops and used Amarillo as the bittering hop, and the Magnum as the flavor hop., so I dry hopped for 1 week ( 4 gallons) with 1 oz of Amarillo. I had never dry hopped any of my beers before, so this was a happy accident so to speak of... I did over sparge to the minimum OG by accident, but I got a really nice Amber Session beer out of it.

Maybe I will do it the old fashioned way, sort of. Since I will be brewing a partial batch (3.5 gallons) I will use my SS pot as my mash tun, and boil in the 10 gallon pot so I don't have to babysit the brew kettle.

10/23/2013 11:20:21 AM :
18 grams of Simcoe
16 grams Amarillo
14 grams US Goldings NOT EK Goldings
14 gramsCitra
< 1 gram Cascade

This dry hop addition is a first for me in many ways. I am not concerned with the Citra blowing out the other three hops, (I hope)
With the Citra being 1:3, it should be nice.

My wife wanted a Black IPA resembling the Alaskan Brewing Co., Black IPA, so here is my best guess. Prior to adding the dry hops, the beer tasted really nice.
I was sure with the IBU's at 85+ this would be a bitter beer face beer. Actually, it's not near bitter face beer, it's rather smooth. A little bit soft up front, without being sweet.

I will test the flavor in three days, Hopefully 10/26/2013

10/29/2013-bottled BIPA. Very hoppy, but that was the idea. At this point, the hop blend tastes rather smooth, I will crack one in two weeks.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

All I can say is OMGawd! The wife just went nuts on this one, me too actually. I am not a hop monster by any means (the wife is) and I found this ale well balanced, and very drinkable. I developed this recipe myself, and I hope somebody gives it a try.

Back