Free online tax prep - too good to be true?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, $54K AGI limit is one thing.

I'm pretty sure they're not the only ones to offer free filing for those under that limit (it might be a Federal requirement to offer free filings for lower-income individuals - I know I've seen this "free" offer elsewhere, not at HRB).

Still gotta pay $30 for state filings.

I've been using CompleteTax for four or five years, I've been happy with it. As a returning user, I think it cost me $25 for the Federal filing and $10 for the state. Very user-friendly interface.

The AGI isn't a concern for me, but obviously it is for many. I'll check out the freetaxusa site as well, thanks...

I've used either H & R or TurboTax free online software the last few years. It works great, but you do have to pay for state filings.

I've used the HR block free site the past two years and it has worked well. The only drawback is that there is an ad asking your to upgrade every 5-10 minutes.

the_bird said:
Still gotta pay $30 for state filings.

I think that depends on the state. Indiana has a free e-file through the state's department of revenue. It takes about 5 minutes to complete once you've done the federal.

Back