Freeze-Dried Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalhifi

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting a Russian River Supplication Clone, and am ready to transfer my primary over into secondary and pitch my Brett cultures. I also need to add the sour cherries at this point. Because I wasn't able to find dried sour cherries without oil or preservatives as Vinny does, I will be using freeze-dried sour cherries. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used freeze-dried fruit in a beer before. I'm wondering if I should add any water to it to simulate dried fruit, and also if I should freeze it. Apparently the freeze-drieing process does not always break the cell walls. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but its my understanding that the freezing of the fruit isn't really that important when using Brett, because it has the necessary enzymes to break the cell walls itself.

Anybody have any insight before I through a buttload of cherries and let it sit for a few months?

I went ahead and added the freeze-dried cherries. The Brett started eating away and I had to put on a blow off tube. It looks like I made the right choice.

I'm looking into this exactly right now. Trying to find some cherries for a few sours.
How did this turn out? Do you recommend? Where did you get them? That kinda stuff...

I think they will be cool..You can also add some tart cherry juice concentrate..it will flavor and 2oz is 30g sugar so you will also boost alcohol..get a pint and add 10 oz

I'm looking into this exactly right now. Trying to find some cherries for a few sours.
How did this turn out? Do you recommend? Where did you get them? That kinda stuff...

I second this. I'll also add, do you have to sanitize the cherries/fruit before putting them in there?

No to sanitizing. I don't think so. Not sure if anything would survive being freeze dried.
I think folks look for yeast on fresh fruit to help add complexity and even restart a 2nd fermentation after the fruit is added.

I'm currently fermenting a Russian River Supplication Clone, and am ready to transfer my primary over into secondary and pitch my Brett cultures. I also need to add the sour cherries at this point. Because I wasn't able to find dried sour cherries without oil or preservatives as Vinny does, I will be using freeze-dried sour cherries. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used freeze-dried fruit in a beer before. I'm wondering if I should add any water to it to simulate dried fruit, and also if I should freeze it. Apparently the freeze-drieing process does not always break the cell walls. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but its my understanding that the freezing of the fruit isn't really that important when using Brett, because it has the necessary enzymes to break the cell walls itself.

Anybody have any insight before I through a buttload of cherries and let it sit for a few months?

Here is a link where to buy plain old dry cherries without oils etc.. pretty expensive but when are cherries not expensive?

http://northstarorganics.com/dried-tart-cherries-10-lbs/

Back