When should i expect to hear my primary fermentator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSun

Reaction score
I just made my second brew today with the wife. We made a happy holiday ale, similar to blue moon spiced amber ale. I'm very excited about this beer and I added a bit more cinnamon then recommended but nothing crazy. I'm waiting for my yeast to act with the oxygen and start bubbling out of the airlock. Should it be happening within the next couple hours (6-12)??

Anything's possible with an airlock. I've had them bubbling away on weizen brews in 10 hours, other brews might take up to 2 days. And I've had more than a few brews never bubble an airlock even once. Same end result on every one of those though.....great beer.

Airlock is a convenience more than a tool for measuring fermentation. Watch your brew for a krausen, and if you're concerned that it's not fermenting (which would be very unlikely btw), take a gravity reading. If it's lower than your original gravity reading, the yeast is doing its job!

Back