Beer buzz: Storebought vs Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normzone

Reaction score
I've noted that the buzz obtained from my homebrew is different from that obtained by drinking storebought beer.

Both are high alcohol IPAs, with similar hops and alcohol levels.

But the homebrew seems to take more to obtain similar effects. And the Head Brewmistress concurs.

Is there any knowledge, either empirical or speculative regarding this issue?

Thanks -
Norman

I think home brew has a purer form of ethanol,since we generally don't add corn & other adjuncts That make the buzz feel heavier.

Homebrew has more suspended yeast. Incredible creatures.

I definitely notice a difference in homebrew vs store bought though I do mostly wines and meads. In the book Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers he seems to point out that the effects of fermentation on the substances in the brew may bring about unique compounds that can make the brews have different effects. I've noticed yarrow in particular seems to do that.

Maybe the homebrew tastes so good that you're overwhelmed by emotions of elation and blissfulness that distract you from feeling the buzz.

It could be a result of different carbonation levels. Higher carbonation will make the ethanol absorb into your bloodstream faster (and thus into your liver) as a result of the CO2 bubbles expanding the liquid in your stomach.

However that being said, there are some confounding factors in your observation. For one, you only have a sample size of 2. And you need to take into account stuff like lack of sleep, food in the stomach, tolerance, etc. and even then it is still a subjective observation (I feel more drunk/I feel drunk quicker) that is almost certainly biased. You need cold, hard data if you really want to figure it out. I'd recommend investing in a mid-level breatholyzer and report back with some good data. Definitely want to do double blind testing with as many controlled variables as possible (empty stomach, well rested, similar tolerances) with a larger sample size, like a dozen people. You will need to do controls and all of that science-y stuff. Good luck! :)

Well, sacrifices must be made in the name of science, but I'm still hoping to find that somebody has already done the research and published it, thereby allowing me to focus my research dollars on ingredients.

The comment about the alcohol level not being as high as I think it is is interesting, albeit unsupported as of yet.

I am aware of the error inherent in my measurements, but I consume the proper levels of S.G. so it should be close.

Carbonation is different but similar, I "shake carb" in the keg. Mouthfeel is not exactly the same, so maybe carbonation / water chemistry are issues - I'm using "water store" water which has pretty much everything stripped out and I'm not yet experimenting with modifying the water chemistry.

I've always found homebrew to be a more "relaxing" or "euphoriant" buzz, and less of an overt intoxicant. I give credit to B vitamans in yeast for this, but if there's one thing I have learned in this pass at brewing is that everything I thought I knew is wrong.

I using temperature control (ales fermented in the sixties F) but not blowoff hoses yet. What effect would that contribute?

I'm an IPA fiend, so I'm getting plenty of hops.

Thanks all - Norman

Yes you see also with homebrew you know exactly what you put into the brew. Commercial brews you do not know that for absolute certainty. Many food products contain ingredients that are not listed on the label. Yes it would be nice if we could simply take faith in the honesty and integrity of food and beverage producers but that is simply not the case.

Hm is there government funding available for such research projects? I'm starting my research right now this evening either way, and so far it is going very very well.

I have noticed a unique effect from homebrew I have never experienced with any commercial brews, but it could be because of other factors such as yarrow. That's why I"m working on perfecting the stupefying essence.

Hm is there government funding available for such research projects? I'm starting my research right now this evening either way, and so far it is going very very well.
There is. Your grant proposal must be the greatest of all time though.

I was thinking about this issue again last night and I thought I'd find this thread and see what wisdom had been appended. I was setting up my cold crash bucket and drank some pints of unfiltered, uncarbonated.

Definitely a different, slower to kick in buzz, so I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that carbonation is a big factor.

If you are using "store water" without alot of minerals remaining and brewing pale colored IPAs without water adjustment, your pH levels are going to be out of range for what a commercial brewer would shoot for. That would lead to muddled flavors and possibly lack of minerals that would lead to clarity and stability in your brew. The yeast could also not attenuate as well as a result, leaving less hooch fo yo mouf. Just another theory. Plus you be experiencing jim koch's "yeast makes you less drunk" theory cause homebrew usually has much more yeast in suspension

Back