US version of German Munich Malt???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skultch

Reaction score
I will be brewing a test batch that will soon become a 10 gallon 4th of July party American Red Ale. I'm using this recipe, but I was wondering if there is an American made malt that I can use instead of the Munich that will get me a very red color. Any suggestions? Much thanks.

You can use 2 oz Roast Barley.....typical addition for Irish Red. You can also go to an addition of CaraRed if you want to stay German. It will also give you a little head retention. If you want to get a little wild and crazy you can use tart cherry puree....will change the flavor a little but it is what they do at Troggs in PA for their Mad Elf. Also I have heard people talk about using beet juice. Plenty of red there, I've never done it and wonder about flavor although again I have heard that you need to use so little that it does not effect flavor???? If all else fails you can add red food color, it is my understanding that is what Miller/Coors does with their Killians.

OOOps forgot to add that Munich only adds a little red and typicaly that is more of an "amber/red".

Thanks guys!! I'll use the Briess. I'd like to make it a little more red than amber/lt. brown in honor of the 4th, so it looks like I'll have to do something special. I had thought of the cherries, but not the beets. Hmmmm. I think you are right about needing very little beet juice. Gears-a-turnin.......

Breiss and Great Western make Munich malts. But like Badhabit said 2/oz of roast barley. I think Weyermann makes a carared also.

Back