What do you think of my Lawnmower Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR-Josh

Reaction score
I'm going for a cream ale or something that is light, crisp, and refreshing. Something the BMC crowd will enjoy.

5 lbs of extra light dry malt extract (or even the pils extract?)
0.5 lbs of rice syrup (I'm going for a little dry)
0.5 lbs crystal 10L (steeping)
0.5 lbs caraPils (steeping)

0.5 oz Saaz at 60min
0.25 oz Saaz at 30min
0.25 oz Saaz at 10min

Please critique this as I don't want to do something that's going to make it overly sweet or astringent. What would you change to make a lawnmower beer?

I tried to find an extract version of the Cream of Three Crops recipe but did not have any luck. I'm going for that kind of beer. Thanks! :mug:

AR-Josh, what are the AAU's of the Saaz hops? I put this recipe into beersmith using saaz 4% and the IBU's came in at 11, which would definitely be on the sweet side. Increase the 60 min saaz addition from 0.5 oz to 0.75 oz to get the recipe to 15 IBU's, which should be about right.

I love the flavor and aroma of saaz hops. For my tastes I would also add 0.25 oz at 0 minutes, but that is optional for you.

What kind of yeast you planning on using?

I just made something quite similar, I used flaked corn instead of rice, though. what you have looks pretty good so far.

As said above, with your hop schedule the 1# of crystal/carapils it might end up on the sweet end.

AR-Josh, what are the AAU's of the Saaz hops? I put this recipe into beersmith using saaz 4% and the IBU's came in at 11, which would definitely be on the sweet side. Increase the 60 min saaz addition from 0.5 oz to 0.75 oz to get the recipe to 15 IBU's, which should be about right.

I love the flavor and aroma of saaz hops. For my tastes I would also add 0.25 oz at 0 minutes, but that is optional for you.

The US Saaz hops I'm looking at using are 5%-6% in general.

I'll aim for a higher IBU beer. How about

0.75 oz at 60min
0.75 oz at 10min
0.5 oz at flame out

That should put me at 21 IBU's according to the tastybrew.com calculator. Think that's too much for the BMC crowd?

What kind of yeast you planning on using?

I just made something quite similar, I used flaked corn instead of rice, though. what you have looks pretty good so far.

As said above, with your hop schedule the 1# of crystal/carapils it might end up on the sweet end.

OK. I didn't know the steeping grains would do that much. How about 0.25 lbs of each?

I'm planning to use a smack pack of 1059 American Ale. I'm hoping that will dry it a little too.

I just had another thought, did you have to mash the flaked corn? Or did you steep it? I'm trying to avoid a headache beer. I've heard that since Bud uses rice that is what causes the headaches that result from drinking it. I get splitting headaches when I drink bud. I don't know how much stock to put into the rice causing it but I don't wanna chance 5 gal of a headache beer.

Headaches are caused more by hops than the grains or malts used. Rice is fine. Corn would have to be mashed, so if you're keeping this extract, just keep the rice syrup. Cut your steeping grains to 0.25 lb each, and I'd say go for Pilsner or the Extra Light, whichever is fine. 1056 will be good. The Saaz is fine, and 21 IBU's will be very present in this beer, but not overly bitter.

AR-Josh said:
OK. I didn't know the steeping grains would do that much. How about 0.25 lbs of each?

I'm planning to use a smack pack of 1059 American Ale. I'm hoping that will dry it a little too.

I just had another thought, did you have to mash the flaked corn? Or did you steep it? I'm trying to avoid a headache beer. I've heard that since Bud uses rice that is what causes the headaches that result from drinking it. I get splitting headaches when I drink bud. I don't know how much stock to put into the rice causing it but I don't wanna chance 5 gal of a headache beer.

I did 6 lbs extra light dry extract and steeped .5 crystal 10, 1 lb flaked corn, 1 lb 2 row for 45 minutes at 154F. Saw the suggestion on a thread somewhere on here dealing with an extract cream ale. To use the 2 row along with the flakes corn.

I haven't had the finished product yet, but it's coming along nicely.

Back