Mash-Out with RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelale

Reaction score
I know that the grain bed is supposed to be around 168 or so degrees for mash-out. When using a RIMS tube, can I just set the PID to 168 and roll with it? I'm assuming that after a 1-hour recirculating mash, the grain bed and wort should be the same temperature. Am I assuming correctly? Thanks.

This is essentially what I do. It takes a few minutes to get up to temp, depending on the flow rate of the RIMS circuit, the total mass of the system, and to a lesser degree the power of the RIMS element.

It works well, go for it.

Not sure what the OP is saying here. Are you intending to set your PID to 168F at the start of the MASH or after the hour is done?

I've been recirculating my MASH for 45 minutes at temp (~153 or so) and then I set the temp to 170F for Mash out, when that's complete I batch sparge with 170F water and recirc for a few minutes.

Yep, mash out after the main rest. As jfkriege says, how fast it goes from ~150 to 168 depends on your system.

Personally, I mash out with a hot water infusion but I still set my RIMS to maintain 168.

Not sure what the OP is saying here. Are you intending to set your PID to 168F at the start of the MASH or after the hour is done?

I've been recirculating my MASH for 45 minutes at temp (~153 or so) and then I set the temp to 170F for Mash out, when that's complete I batch sparge with 170F water and recirc for a few minutes.

I should have been more clear in my question. I no-sparge, 2-vessel, and I am using a RIMS tube to stabilize mash temperatures between the BK and MLT. Prior to implementing a RIMS, I typically just recirculated for the entire hour-long mash and did not mash-out due to overshooting temperatures through direct-fire. I guess my question should have been "can I recirculate for say, 45 minutes and the set the PID for 168-170 for mashout for the last 15 minutes?" Looks like I can. Thanks for the help.

I'm guessing you got this working? I'm curious how long it takes you to go from 153 to 170ish with your system... Looking to make a more compact system, ditch the HLT.
Thanks

I'm guessing you got this working? I'm curious how long it takes you to go from 153 to 170ish with your system... Looking to make a more compact system, ditch the HLT.
Thanks

Takes a few minutes with a 120vac element. Haven't tried it yet, but I think I could do a 45 minute mash, and then bump it up to mash-out temperature the last 15 minutes. I could alway give it a "kick" with the burner.

Back