help figure out my carbing issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im new to this and have my 1st 2 all grain batches on tap now. My keezer averages around 37 degrees. Both kegs (belgium wheat, irish stout) have been on 12lbs for close to three weeks. I was having alot of foam issues with 6' lines, recently went to 12' with the line coiled on top of the keg up to the tap. This has helped some with the foam, but I still dont think im carbed correctly.

This is my wheat immediately upon pouring.

73a769e7.jpg

This is after about 45 seconds

44f6ee40.jpg

Should I be losing every bit of head in such a short period of time? Not sure where to troubleshoot next. The beer taste good at 1st pour, but pretty flat real soon after.

In comparison, this is my stout and the head retention on this one is very good. I get a nice lacing all the way down the glass with this one.
dd5f8153.jpg

Mike in Duluth

I guess I wouldnt call it totally flat. Maybe just watching the head go away so fast is playing with my mind. But I can tell a difference from the 1st couple quick drinks vs halfway thru the pint.

hmm, now that I am reading up on the subject. I think this is more about head retention issues than a carbonation issue. Im still very new to brewing and have thrown myself into the deep end quickly. I guess I should be happy that my 1st attempts taste good, and work out more of the other details (improving head retention) as I go. If I am reading some of the wikis correctly, this is likely a combination of the recipe and my performance during the brewing.

Mike in Duluth

I think you are on the right track. This seems to be a head retention problem more than anything. First step, check that you glassware is hand washed and rinsed super well.

Back