Wanted: A big beer that's not to hoppy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
I'd like to make a big beer (10% + ABV) that's low on the hops, even lower than an IPA. More like a oatmeal stout or a common porter. Can this even be done without an increase in hops to offset the alcohol? I'm hoping that by increasing the other flavors of the beer, the alcohol can be toned down taste-wise, but every recipe I see simply has too much hops for my liking, leading me to believe that hops is the only thing to get the job done.

you NEED the hops to balance out the malt. however there are some that can get up there, check out a wee heavey... I made one that was 10% and had 1 OZ hops in it :)

Barleywine might be possible. I like the idea of the wee heavy though.

A belgian Golden Strong can also be lighter on the hops.

Many of the Big Beers are aged enough to allow the hops to mellow and drop out.

I've been looking for more flavor and less hops for years. Just this week I had a Belgian Strong Dark Ale and I love it. It's a big beer, lots of flavor, and a very modest hop profile. And it's not too hard to find in the stores so you can try one for yourself.

Back