My Ghetto Fab AG System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
GHETTO2.jpg

GHETTO1.jpg

About $20 worth of plastic shelving from Wally World and a roll of electrical tape=brew stand!

The HLT and MLT are 10 gal Rubbermaids. The MLT uses a plastic false bottom and a mash pad. Works very well. The kettle is a Sabco "DYI" with weldless ball valve and a "Thermosight". The Thermosight is a POS, and is about to be replaced by one of tnlandsailor's sight glasses and a nice 3" faced thermo. It also uses tnlandsailor's Hop Stopper.

The sparger is a Phil's 10". I've got a Chillus Convolutus chiller, but can't get good flow with it. So, I've got a March pump on it's way. :)

LOL....you know it! Note to those who want to use a cheap plastic brewstand: Don't take your kettle directly off the burner and put it on the cheap plastic brewstand!

Cool cheap set up! Ya gotta love it!

Also, excellent looking 03 Sporty as well!

Six months ago I thought a system like this was ridiculous overkill... but right now, I could see myself with this setup in a few weeks :p

VERY NICE, good setup! Simple and efficient, yeilds great beer. Definitely the way to go from a financial and time standpoint. Thanks for the pics :cool:

If you haven't purchased the pump yet? Might I suggest you consider a Wort Wizard it works well using the water flow of the CFC and is available for under $20 if you check around.

Tony: Thanks, it's a 1200 Sport.

Stan: I looked into one, but couldn't find any solid info on them. I couldn't confirm whether one would work or not, so I went with the pump.

Bill: I prefer to call it "modular". :D

If that's ghetto, I don't want to know what my setup is.

What's the process for getting heated water into the HLT, do you use a stepladder, or are you a lot taller than me? Is there a thermometer mounted on the HLT?

BeeGee said:
If that's ghetto, I don't want to know what my setup is.

What's the process for getting heated water into the HLT, do you use a stepladder, or are you a lot taller than me? Is there a thermometer mounted on the HLT?

I dip the hot water from my kettle and dump it into the HLT. I have the HLT sitting on that lowest shelf. Then I put the lid on it (very important!) and lift it up to the top shelf. Crappiest part of brewday, besides cooling!

I don't have a thermo mounted in it yet, but I will before long. I got a sight glass kit form tnlandsailor for it, and it has a port for a thermo. I just need to get around to installing it!

Latest posts

Back