Who is brewing on the MLK holiday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
MLK holiday coming up on Monday, Jan. 18th.

Normally I don't brew back to back weeks, but since there's an extra day coming up for the MLK holiday and SWMBO will be off from work and can watch the kiddos, WHY NOT BREW?

I think I'll brew 10g of Schwarzbier this coming MLK holiday.

Get your starters going & pickup your ingredients if you're also planning to brew on Monday.

I'll be brewing a stout. I am trying to develop a pipeline for this year. I will be brewing on Saturday or Sunday though. I don't get Monday off.

I am planning it. Maris Otter/EKG and sugar with a grown culture of Rochefort 6 dregs.

Should be interesting. Haven't decide how far I want to go with the sugar yet. I might invert some and make a syrup.

There is talk of a gigantic brewday here in Atlanta, stay tuned... we're hoping to get a webcam up and running for all you creeps.

I am gonna go with 10 gallons of Rauchbier... Just finished the last bottle from my previous rauchbier and it was so smoooooth at 7 months in the bottle.

I wish I got MLK day off...

Me too. The only day the store I work at is closed is Christmas day. I work Mondays so no brewing for me. I'm brewing up 2 batches this week, which will make 6 fermenters going in my room. I'll have to wait until the end of the month to brew up 2 more batches. I don't need to buy any more fermenters, haha.

Possibly. It depends on if my primary opens up. I have all the ingredients for my MO/WGV Ordinary Bitter SMaSH, but no place to ferment it.

Not a joke. Schwarzbier's been on my to do list for a couple weeks now and I have yet to make one.

RIGHT ON!!!lol. Sorry, but doesn't schwartzbier translate to "black beer"?

I thought it might be a mis-guided joke. Carry on!

What will you call it though?;)

RIGHT ON!!!lol. Sorry, but doesn't schwartzbier translate to "black beer"?

I thought it might be a mis-guided joke. Carry on!

What will you call it though?;)

I mostly copy recipes. This one is from the Nov/Dec 2009 issue of Zymurgy and is already named "Heart of Darkness".

I don't normally use the names, I'll just call it Schwarzbier when people are asking what's on tap.

i'm planning a maibock for mlk brew day.

but if it turns out my porter is infected (again), i might not have the heart.

It's 4-day wknd for me (Friday off + MLK). I have a lot of projects around the house that needs to be completed but I think I'll brew up a SMaSH pale ale sometime.

I'm going to be making an IPA for SWMBO. The PacMan yeast was shipped out from BMW today. Hopefully, the weather will hold out for it.

gotta work monday but i might squeeze in Denny's Waldo Lake Amber. Depends on if im lazy or not and build the shelf in my stand up temp controlled freezer to hold 2 more fermenters above the ones on the bottom.

Right, so that means pretty much only federal employees or teachers get the day off. I don't know a single person who has the day off in the working world.

I have two batches to brew sometime between now and Monday (OFF Monday; but have duty the weekend). I also am going to pick up a Belgium this weekend to brew for my buddy... so I might end up brewing three beers on Monday :)

But I also have the kids since my wife has training all day.... so maybe might just do two beers (kids help out to add excitement of GET AWAY FROM THE FLAME! NO DON'T SNEEZE NEAR THE BOILING POT OF AWESOMENESS! NO ITS MY BEER! LET THE DOG OUT!!!)

Sure it will go good...

So now that we've established that the vast minority has the day off, no, I will not be brewing that day.

People actually get MLK day off?!?!?

They replaced our Floating holiday with MLK day off. This is nice for me since I can get a brew day in. Fri night going to see the Wailers . Saturday, Volunteering at the Wynkoop Brewery by pouring at the Parade of Darks. Sunday, Starting the long awaited Sake project

Right, so that means pretty much only federal employees or teachers get the day off. I don't know a single person who has the day off in the working world.

I work at Johnson Controls. We have the day off.

Now you know one.

About two years ago, we switched from having Good Friday off, to having MLK day off. Now, I obviously don't have any philosophical problem with that, it's just retarded having January 18th off, when we just came off a big vaca. Now we don't have another day off until may 31.

plus, i wanna go to Road Atlanta good friday weekend. Now I have to use another vaca day...

As I stated in the OP, SWMBO gets the day off....she works for a bank in the "working world".

floating holiday for me. I will be working, but perhaps I could still brew in the evening. Actually I'm hoping to get a batch brewed before then too. I need to take advantage of the warmer temps this week as the last couple weeks have been COLD.

So now that we've established that the vast minority has the day off, no, I will not be brewing that day.

WOW. Way to try and piss in all the lazy non working people's cheerios.

Your continued bitching might be construed as thinking that it shouldn't really be a holiday?(in your mind)

WOW. Way to try and piss in all the lazy non working people's cheerios.

Your continued bitching might be construed as thinking that it shouldn't really be a holiday?(in your mind)

I think you misconstrue what I said as bitching. I'm not. My whole career has been in B to B, so I get a lot of exposure to a lot of different verticals. For the most part, it seems only public sector folks have it off. If I really wanted the day I could burn a floating holiday, but since most people in other industries are working it's in my financial best interest to work as well.

What to do on MLK day?

Brew beer? Mow the lawn? Play golf? Work on my tan?

Since I live in Indiana, the last three are out of the question.

I'm not going to brew beer since I am working like the other 99% of the private sector.

Maybe I could call in sick and play video games like all of the school age kids who are "celebrating" MLK day.

I'm sure MLK would be proud.

Back