BMC Flowchart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a bottle of Utopias. The bottles are selling on ebay for about $600. A buddy in our brew club just got this years bottle for $180 from the liquor store

The "ironic" hipster thing made me lol. I always snicker when I'm at a music club and some doosh with girl jeans on and black-framed fake glasses orders a PBR.

yes, but it's definitely becoming a "hipster" beer. people are ordering it because it's cool.

I would have to say people are not really ordering PBR because it is "cool". When you go to a bar and they are selling 16oz cans for $1. You are going to see people drinking it. When you go to the liquor store and a 12 pack is $2-3 cheaper then the other **** beers, you are going to see people drinking it.

It is all about economics. College kids are cheap. Bars started the trend by giving people cheap beer.

Me personally I love PBR. I always have a bunch of cans in my fridge during the summer. Why? because it is cheap. If I am going to drink water beer I want it to be cheap. I doubt you could call me or my friends hipsters. We don't fit the bill.

I would have to say people are not really ordering PBR because it is "cool". When you go to a bar and they are selling 16oz cans for $1. You are going to see people drinking it. When you go to the liquor store and a 12 pack is $2-3 cheaper then the other **** beers, you are going to see people drinking it.

It is all about economics. College kids are cheap. Bars started the trend by giving people cheap beer.

Me personally I love PBR. I always have a bunch of cans in my fridge during the summer. Why? because it is cheap. If I am going to drink water beer I want it to be cheap. I doubt you could call me or my friends hipsters. We don't fit the bill.

Trust me, I know people who drink PBR and are more than able to pay for whatever beer they want. It may be a slightly localized phenomenon, but people drink it at certain places because that's what everyone else is doing. I'm not commenting on the quality of PBR at all, just knocking trendy hipsters, just like the chart did. They get it, I guess some people don't.

Spoken like someone who has never been to Portland.

Good point, considering we homebrewers are such a cool and fashionable group, we should really be degrading others because of looks:

2917-brewday003.jpg

wait.....

PBR, is super cheap and has more character than most beers in its price range. Plus it has that out of date image that is funny.

I get what you are saying, haha, hipsters, hee hee. I just think beer snobbery is lame. Hipster comment funny, girl pants ******-nozzle comment less so.

Also, 98% of those who drink beer can affoard more than BMC lite, but they buy it all the same.

Nope never been to portland. But I have been to the east coast. So the guy from new york that told me to trust him. Well I trust him. People in the east are all about image.

I didn't comment on the beer. At all. How's that beer snobbery?

I think it's lame to make any choices based on what's "cool". They could be ordering Sunny Delight for all I care, still makes it lame IMO. As for looks, those guys aren't born with girl jeans on.

I didn't comment on the beer. At all. How's that beer snobbery?

I think it's lame to make any choices based on what's "cool". They could be ordering Sunny Delight for all I care, still makes it lame IMO. As for looks, those guys aren't born with girl jeans on.

Not to mention that wearing girl jeans alone makes one lame. I could care less if they were ordering Stone, they would still be idiots.

I am not from the left coast either. I live in Vail. Not much different then the either of those places.

Yet us "locals" read poor folks. We love our PBR and floating down the river.

This thread got way off course:D :mug:

Anyway, I think the above statement is silly. You make every choice in your life based on what you think is "cool". The difference is in definition. The girl jeans wearing dude thinks IMO fashion and a humorous beer that his dad probably drank and now he is semi-mocking is cool. You may think Nascar and buying stocks are cool.

All our choices are based on what is cool to us. You may call it "responsible" choices or rationalize your actions in another way, but it is all the same garbage. Craft brew drinkers are just buying into a different hype than BMC drinkers. We are all drinking Cool-aid, the only difference is who's selling it.

This thread got way off course:D :mug:

Anyway, I think the above statement is silly. You make every choice in your life based on what you think is "cool". The difference is in definition. The girl jeans wearing dude thinks IMO fashion and a humorous beer that his dad probably drank and now he is semi-mocking is cool. You may think Nascar and buying stocks are cool.

All our choices are based on what is cool to us. You may call it "responsible" choices or rationalize your actions in another way, but it is all the same garbage. Craft brew drinkers are just buying into a different hype than BMC drinkers. We are all drinking Cool-aid, the only difference is who's selling it.

Good point. Most of the I will not drink BMC beer comments come from people who are doing the same thing. Drinking non bmc to feel superior or cool.

I like beer period. I do not drink one or the other based on how it makes me look. I drink what tastes good to me.

Oh yeah and the poster is suppose to be funny and FUN.

No need for us to get all agro about it. Me included. No more finger pointing.

It is a bottle of Utopias. The bottles are selling on ebay for about $600. A buddy in our brew club just got this years bottle for $180 from the liquor store

The older years might be selling for $600 on the second hand market, but you can get a 2009 bottle on ebay for less than $250. My brother paid $240 for his...

When you roll up to a bar in Portland in the yuppie ass expensive neighborhood, see a hipster wanabe roll up on a 2500 dollar full custom Bianchi fixie with a pair of super extra small 140 dollar jeans designer glasses a beanie + scarf + messenger bag and order a PBR they are doing it for style. That right there is 65% of the PBR drinks in Portland. Now I'm poor and just graduated college I drive a Subaru that I paid $100 dollars for and have a $400 dollar bike that I had to buy so that I could actually get around Eugene as there is no parking in that city. I drink PBR whilst wearing a 40 dollar nike sweat suit I got at the outlet store that is poor.

Interesting. Did your buddy like it at all?

While I know that higher gravity beers are certainly more expensive to produce (all the work that goes into aging them, etc), it makes me wonder how much you're paying for the fancy bottle vs the actual booze within. A copper finished decanter? It makes me wonder if it's selling for $600 on eBay because the price of copper has skyrocketed in the past few years :)

I just don't know if I could spend that much on a bottle of beer. @ 27% alcohol I am sure I would not even enjoy it. I am not much of a liquor drinker. That beer has to have a bite to it.

Interesting. Did your buddy like it at all?

While I know that higher gravity beers are certainly more expensive to produce (all the work that goes into aging them, etc), it makes me wonder how much you're paying for the fancy bottle vs the actual booze within. A copper finished decanter? It makes me wonder if it's selling for $600 on eBay because the price of copper has skyrocketed in the past few years :)

Funny that you ask that. He did not try it. He thinks he is going to resell it on ebay. Try an double his money.

I think that is kind of ****ty. I think he should drink it. Price gouging people is not cool in my book.

When you roll up to a bar in Portland in the yuppie ass expensive neighborhood, see a hipster wanabe roll up on a 2500 dollar full custom Bianchi fixie with a pair of super extra small 140 dollar jeans designer glasses a beanie + scarf + messenger bag and order a PBR they are doing it for style. That right there is 65% of the PBR drinks in Portland. Now I'm poor and just graduated college I drive a Subaru that I paid $100 dollars for and have a $400 dollar bike that I had to buy so that I could actually get around Eugene as there is no parking in that city. I drink PBR whilst wearing a 40 dollar nike sweat suit I got at the outlet store that is poor.

But if only people that are "poor" (your words) bought PBR the price would go up as demand goes down. So I would say thanks to everyone who buys PBR and helps support the company allowing the price to be as low as it is. Another view is the "hippseter" spent all his money on his clothes ect. and now has to keep a budget on the beer. And of course the style now is basically retro so of course a "retro" beer would be in style.

Lastly if you arn't a farmer than you really can't nag on others who drink PBR anyway as PBR is the Farmers' Beer.

Lastly if you arn't a farmer than you really can't nag on others who drink PBR anyway as PBR is the Farmers Beer.

As a child I remember going to my grandparent's home town of Primrose, Nebraska, population 69. A total farming community with 2 bars, 2 churches and that's it. I remember for whatever holiday we were up there, the adults would totally go through at least a few cases of PBR. I wished so much they'd let me drink so I could get blitzed and play cards with them.

The point is they're drinking it to be part of the trend, and I seriously doubt the price would go up as PBR has to compete with the true BMC companies. The only advantage PBR has is its price points. Price won't fluctuate with change in demand at least not significantly b/c if it did PBR would get put under by the major brewing companies. Every brand has its price level if it varies to one side or the other it'll either take over the lower end market or get pushed out by the higher end market.

I think it is funny how there are over 50 beers on that poster and all you brewers can talk about is PBR.

Good job BrewMoor :)

The only advantage PBR has is its price points.

Bullsh**. PBR has a very distinct taste compared to other BMC type beers, and I like it. That's why I buy it when I am shopping for something within that price range. IMO, it is the best beer in that price range.

They all have distinct tastes from each other but PBR cannot compete with BMC marketing power and public image. Thats why they keep the prices low.

I got Rheingold and Esslinger.

Man, just because a guy can read Ancient he can't appreciate a nice bottle of Clipper City?

I got to the end, but they don't sell any of those here as far as I know... made me a little sad. I want to try all the beers on the list... well not all I guess...

Funny that homebrewing has taken me from a one-beer-kinda gal (no I don't need a glass, I am drinking <local not weak as water domestic>) to a what shall we try this week in the hopes of coming up with enough bottles for what is in the brew-room lady.

What is this PRB you are all so occupied with? Forgive me, I am Canadian :ban:

Back