What the highest OG/Alc. brew you've made...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
From a kit? I've just made a cheap coopers draft kit with 1kg dextrose and 2.5kg white sugar coming in at 1.076OG and 9.2%ABV, I know it probably wont be nice to drink but will keep the mrs quiet :ban: :mug: Just wondering what sort of strength you guys have tried and how they turned out? :D

From a kit? An Imperial stout that was somewhere in the 1.070 range, as I recall. Having switched to AG about 4 months ago, the biggest beer I've made so far ran around 1.064.

I knew everyone would have tried one at some point just to see what happens :D Some huge beers there! I'm looking forward to seeing how it tastes with 2.5kg (5+lbs) of white sugar in it :drunk: I know a guy who says he put 6kg in with the same kit and it came out fine but I cant swear to the accuracy of his stories :mug:

I really prefer big OG beers personally, so that's why I brew them. I try to always have something big on tap or in process.

I've brewed several over 10% and with positive results. The only issue i have ever had with these types of big beers is the first couple times i bulk aged them for several months and i ended up with very low carbonation because i had almost no yeast left in suspension to carbonate. I was still fairly new back then so i didn't understand enough about carbonation and yeast in order to properly bulk age.

i helped my bro make his first beer a long time ago and we screwed up and it was around 16% alcohol. It was disgusting to drink, picture drink straight rubbing alcohol. I think the beer was supposed to be a lager at ale temp too.

Back