leaky regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottfro

Reaction score
so i have a used regulator and its leaking around the left of the cylinder coupling nut (as shown in the pic, though thats not my exact regulator). I have the little plastic washer in there and teflon tape on the threads of the co2 tank. any ideas what i might try?

regulator.png

i took off the teflon tape and now it seems the gasket is sealing properly but now its leaking out of the side with the threads.....

If it is leaking, then the gasket isn't seating properly, unless the brass nipple the nut slides on is cracked where it flares out to form a flange, but that is very unlikely. Replace the teflon gasket, or if you have an o-ring, match the grooves that will be worn into it with the tank valve before starting to screw the nut into place.

I'm asking the OP exactly where it's leaking. He said: i took off the teflon tape and now it seems the gasket is sealing properly but now its leaking out of the side with the threads....." and I'm trying to understand if the leak is still at the nut or on the OTHER end of the stem at the regulator (because it too can be considered the threaded end).

If it's coming from the between the nut and the regulator valve threads, everyone is right about the gasket. I have an Oring on mine but you can make your own gasket out of almost anything. Try a plastic coffeecan lid cut into a circle with a small hole in the middle.

thanks for the responses. i'm referring to the other side of the nut. the side thats closer to the co2 tank. before it was leaking out of the side of the nut that the gasket is seated. now that that side isn't leaking it seems to be making its way through the threads. if the gasket is seated properly i guess it should not leak out of either? is there a certain way the gasket should be placed in the regulator?

Sounds like you might need a bigger wrench and a slight tweak tighter might do it. The threads are not meant to seal at all, the gasket isn't working for some reason. Inspect the sealing surfaces to look for debris or burrs.

Yeah I think you are right. I've just been using a pair of pliers since I don't have a wrench that fits the nuts. I've give that a shot.

Back