Campden for Bottling Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder_Chicken

Reaction score
I made a 1-gallon batch of apfelwein that I plan to bottle in a few weeks. I plan to put the bottles into storage for a while (1 yr +) and was thinking of the use of Campden tablets to minimize oxidation and infection risk.

I believe the correct dosage is 1 tablet per gallon for this purpose (I understand that Campden is used to precipitate chlorine and chloramines at a much smaller dosage). Is this simply done at bottling? Crush a tablet, add it to bottling bucket, bottle as usual?

Pretty much, it can be difficult to dissolve so I advise adding it to some hot water to help it along, be sure to stir well.

The dose rate for killing wild yeast initially is 1 tablet per gallon, but that is before the yeast are even introduced. I don't think you need that much at bottling to prevent oxidation. I'd go with about a quarter tablet in about 20 ml of warm water at most. Otherwise it will probably be noticeable.

Back